Sharp Looking Forward to 12th Indianapolis 500 Appearance Official practice for the "Greatest Spectacle in Racing" kicks off this week with a swarm of activity leading up to the 90th Indianapolis 500 on May 28. Scott Sharp returns to his ...
Sharp Looking Forward to 12th Indianapolis 500 Appearance
Official practice for the "Greatest Spectacle in Racing" kicks off this week with a swarm of activity leading up to the 90th Indianapolis 500 on May 28. Scott Sharp returns to his "favorite race track" preparing for his 12th career start at the legendary Brickyard. Sharp was a front-runner throughout the month of May last year, qualifying on the Front Row in third. At the halfway mark of the race, he was running in third and looked to be a serious contender. However, a drive-through penalty assessed with only 19 laps remaining dropped Sharp back to 11th place. He fought his way back to seventh in the closing stages, his career-best finish to date at the Speedway.
Sharp has claimed two top-10 finishes to date this season, but dropped out of the top 10 in the point standings with a DNF (did not finish) at Motegi last month, his first DNF since June of 2005. He currently sits 11th in the championship, only four points outside the top eight.
Scott Sharp -- At-A-Glance:
* Will be preparing for his 12th Indianapolis 500
* Has started on the Front Row twice, capturing the 2001 MBNA Pole and qualifying third last year
* Holds three top-10 results with a best finish of seventh in 2005
* Currently sits 11th in the point standings, one point shy of the top 10, following a DNF in Motegi
* Claimed best finish to date this season in Homestead with a seventh-place run
* Best starting position to date this season was eighth in Motegi
Scott Sharp - #8 Delphi Dallara /Honda/Firestone:
"I am always so excited for this month, and even more so this year with the strong showing we had here last May. This is my favorite track, and I have no doubt that the Delphi Fernandez team will be up to speed quickly. We were fast throughout the month last year - qualifying third and being able to mix it up with the front guys in the race. I'm ready to pick things up where we left off. I'm looking forward to a great month."