FORT WORTH-DALLAS (May 21, 2001) -The starting grid for the Casino Magic 500 at Texas Motor Speedway will feature some of the top open-wheel drivers in the world. The Indy Racing Northern Light Series has assembled an impressive collection of ...
FORT WORTH-DALLAS (May 21, 2001) -The starting grid for the Casino Magic 500 at Texas Motor Speedway will feature some of the top open-wheel drivers in the world. The Indy Racing Northern Light Series has assembled an impressive collection of talented and entertaining field of competitors on and off the race track. For instance, did you know:
* 2000 Casino Magic winner Scott Sharp has a finance and investments degree from Babson College and says, if he were not racing, he would be working in mergers and acquisitions.
* Robbie Buhl is an avid hockey fan, played hockey in high school, and currently finds time to lace up the skates with The Grosse Pointe Old Devils.
* Buzz Calkins has run in the Chicago Marathon the past two years, posting a best time of 3 hours, 41 minutes, 11 seconds in the grueling 26.2-mile footrace.
* At age 20, Sarah Fisher attends an Indianapolis college part-time and will major in mechanical engineering and business.
* Indy Racing Northern Light Series champion Buddy Lazier was a national ski racer from 1972-87 and considered an Olympic hopeful.
* Superstitious driver Eliseo Salazar wears a red left shoe, blue right shoe, blue left driving glove and red right driving glove. The color scheme represents a cross and also represents the colors of the flag of his native Chile.
* Indy Racing rookie Brandon Erwin, from nearby Denton, Texas, has been attending the University of North Texas where he is majoring in business marketing.
You can see these Indy Racing stars and more on June 9 at Texas Motor Speedway for the Casino Magic 500. Tickets for that race and the June 8 NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series O'Reilly 400 are available by calling the speedway ticket office at (817) 215-8500, on line at www.texasmotorspeedway.com, or at participating ticketmaster locations.