A.J. Foyt IV: Conseco No. 14 Dallara/Toyota/Firestone * A.J. Foyt IV on Chicagoland: "I'm glad to get back on the superspeedways because we have a better race set-up for those type tracks and we've been more competitive in the last few races.
A.J. Foyt IV: Conseco No. 14 Dallara/Toyota/Firestone
* A.J. Foyt IV on Chicagoland: "I'm glad to get back on the superspeedways because we have a better race set-up for those type tracks and we've been more competitive in the last few races. We've had some bad luck with the timing of the yellows though and that has affected our results. Hopefully everything will fall into place this weekend and we'll have a good race and a good finish for Team Conseco."
* Firsts for Foyt IV: A.J. IV will make his supermodified debut September 18th at Madera (Calif.) Speedway driving for Davey Hamilton. It will mark Foyt IV's first race in a suoermodified car, his first time driving for someone other than his grandfather since he turned professional in 2002, and his first time racing on a one-third mile paved oval. Foyt IV tested at the track August 23rd and plans to participate in the open test session there the day before the race.
* At the Firestone Indy 225: A.J. IV started 17th and finished 15th. He lost two laps early in the race due to a problem with tire stagger that affected the car's handling. However, after adjustments were made on the first pit stop, he was able to run with the lead pack. He gained more speed when he lost fifth gear in the last third of the race and ran just sixth gear. "I wish we had lost it earlier," said his grandfather afterwards. "He picked up half a second. Overall, he drove a good race."
* A.J. IV's past performance at Chicagoland: Foyt IV started 21st and placed 17th in his first Indy car race there. Handling in the beginning of the race was a problem but the team adjusted on the car throughout the race and Foyt IV began turning lap times comparable to the leaders. In the Pro Series in 2002, Foyt IV won the pole and finished sixth in the race.
* Foyt Racing's past performance at Chicagoland: In 2002, Airton Dare started 15th and was as high as 5th before a crash with a slower car took him out; he was credited with 16th. Eliseo Salazar started 14th, had a problem on a pitstop, then his rear wing collapsed, causing him to spin. The team replaced the wing but engine problems ended his day. In 2001, Salazar started 7th and was up to third when he crashed passing a backmarker. Teammate Donnie Beechler started 17th and finished fifth.
* The Delphi Indy 300 will be televised live Sunday afternoon at 1:30 p.m. Eastern time on ABC.
* For more information, please check out these respective web sites: www.foytracing.com and www.conseco.com.