Iowa Corn Indy 250 Presented By Ethanol / Iowa 100 FAST FACTS WHAT: IndyCarÂ® Series: Iowa Corn Indy 250 presented by Ethanol, 8th race in 17-race 2007 season. Indy Pro Series: Iowa 100, 8th race in 16-race 2007 season. WHERE: Iowa Speedway,...
Iowa Corn Indy 250 Presented By Ethanol / Iowa 100 FAST FACTS
IndyCar® Series: Iowa Corn Indy 250 presented by Ethanol, 8th race in 17-race 2007 season.
Indy Pro Series: Iowa 100, 8th race in 16-race 2007 season.
Iowa Speedway, .875-mile asphalt oval
IndyCar Series: 1 p.m. (ET), Sunday, June 24
Indy Pro Series: 5:10 p.m. (ET), Saturday, June 23
IndyCar Series: 250 laps/218.75 miles
Indy Pro Series: 115 laps/100 miles
IndyCar Series: More than $1 million
Indy Pro Series: More than $275,000
IndyCar Series: Dallara chassis; Honda Indy V-8 engines; Firestone tires; 100 percent fuel-grade ethanol
Indy Pro Series: Dallara chassis; Firestone tires
PREVIOUS RACE WINNERS:
IndyCar Series: Inaugural event
Indy Pro Series: Inaugural event
2006 SERIES CHAMPIONS:
IndyCar Series: Sam Hornish Jr.
Indy Pro Series: Jay Howard
IndyCar Series: Race: ABC (live), 1 p.m. (ET), June 24
Indy Pro Series: Race: ESPN2 (tape-delay), 5: 30 p.m. (ET), July 3
Note: Live streaming video coverage of the SWE Pole Qualifying (1:15 p.m. (ET) June 22) and the Iowa 100 (5:10 p.m. (ET) June 23) is available at www.indycar.com
IndyCar Series: Qualifying wrapup: IMS Radio Network, 7:30 p.m. (ET), June 23,
Pre-race: IMS Radio Network (live), 12:30 p.m. (ET), June 24
Race: IMS Radio Network (live), 1 p.m. (EDT), June 24
Live coverage of AAMCO Transmissions Pole Qualifying (6 p.m. ET, June 23) and the race also will be available at www.indycar.com. The race broadcast is also available on XM Satellite Radio channel 144 "XM Sports Nation" and XM channel 145 "IndyCar Racing"
SCHEDULE (all times local; subject to change):
Friday, June 22
9:30 10:15 a.m. Indy Pro Series practice
11:15 a.m. Noon Indy Pro Series practice
1:15 p.m. Indy Pro Series Iowa 100 SWE Pole Qualifying
2:30 6:30 p.m. IndyCar Series Open Testing
Saturday, June 23
10:30 a.m. 12:30 p.m. IndyCar Series practice (two groups)
12:50 1:10 p.m. Indy Pro Series final practice (two groups)
1:30 3:30 p.m. IndyCar Series practice (two groups)
3:45 p.m. Indy Pro Series Iowa 100 pre-race
4:10 p.m. Indy Pro Series Iowa 100 (115 laps/100 miles), ESPN2 (5 p.m.., June 29)
5:15 p.m. IndyCar Series AAMCO Transmissions Pole Qualfiying
Sunday, June 24
11:15 a.m. Iowa Corn Indy 250 pre-race
4:10 p.m. Iowa Corn Indy 250 (250 laps/218.75 miles), ABC (Live)
Frontstretch: 1,075 feet banked at 10 degrees
Backstretch: 869 feet banked at 4 degrees
Turns: Variably banked at 12-14 degrees
Width: 60 feet
* Iowa Speedway is the first driver-designed racing facility. Former NASCAR champion Rusty Wallace served as a co-designer of the track, which features variable banking to promote more side-by-side racing.
INDY CAR RACING IN IOWA:
The IndyCar Series adds to the oval racing heritage of the state of Iowa in 2007 as it conducts its first race at Iowa Speedway, the state's newest oval facility. The Hawkeye state boasts 56 race tracks, which puts Iowa fourth nationally in number of motorsports facilities.
INDYCAR SERIES NOTES:
* Five Indianapolis 500 champions are expected to participate in the Iowa Corn Indy 250: Helio Castroneves (2001, 2002), Buddy Rice (2004), Dan Wheldon (2005), Sam Hornish Jr. (2006) and Dario Franchitti (2007).
* Five IndyCar Series champions are scheduled to participate in the Iowa Corn Indy 250: Scott Sharp (1996 co-champion), Sam Hornish Jr. (2001, 2002, 2006), Scott Dixon (2003), Tony Kanaan (2004) and Dan Wheldon (2005).
* Drivers entered in the Iowa Corn Indy 250 have combined for 77 IndyCar Series victories, 74 IndyCar Series pole positions and 1,106 IndyCar Series starts.
* The Iowa Corn Indy 250 is the second of three short-oval races this season. Tony Kanaan won on the 1-mile oval at The Milwaukee Mile earlier this month. The last short-oval event in 2007 is the June 30 race at Richmond International Raceway.
* The Iowa Corn Indy 250 will be the 142nd IndyCar Series event since the series' inaugural race in 1996. The Iowa Speedway will be the 23rd oval to host an IndyCar Series event.
* In seven races thus far in 2007, there have been five winners. Dan Wheldon and Tony Kanaan are the only multiple winner. Wheldon won Homestead-Miami and Kansas, while Kanaan won at Twin Ring Motegi and Milwaukee. Other winners in 2007: Helio Castroneves at St. Petersburg, Dario Franchitti at Indianapolis and Sam Hornish Jr. at Texas. In those seven races, 11 drivers have finished in the top five in at least one event.
* Sam Hornish Jr. won his 19th IndyCar Series race at Texas Motor Speedway, extending his record for most IndyCar Series all-time victories.
* Sam Hornish Jr.'s win at Texas Motor Speedway was Team Penske's 25th IndyCar Series victory.
* Sam Hornish Jr. tied the record that Helio Castroneves and Scott Sharp share for most consecutive seasons with at least one win (seven). Sharp claimed at least one win from 1997-2003 while Castroneves and Hornish have won in every season since 2001.
* Dan Wheldon has led 573 of 1,319 laps this season or 41.2 percent of all laps. Tony Kanaan holds the IndyCar Series record for most-laps led with 889 during the 2004 season. * Scott Dixon has been running at the finish of every IndyCar Series race since Chicagoland in September 2005, a span of 23 races second most in IndyCar Series history. Tony Kanaan holds the record with 25 consecutive race finishes from 2004-2005.
* Helio Castroneves has qualified in the top-10 in 23 consecutive races. Sam Hornish Jr. holds the record with 25 consecutive top-10 starts from 2001-2003.
* Helio Castroneves became the third IndyCar Series driver to surpass $10,000,000 in career earnings following the Indianapolis 500.
* Scott Sharp needs one win to earn his 10th IndyCar Series victory.
* Scott Sharp can extend his series record for consecutive starts to 130 straight races at Iowa Speedway.
* Scott Sharp needs to earn $265,537 to surpass $10,000,000 in career earnings.
* Vitor Meira has gone 66 starts without a victory in the IndyCar Series, the longest drought of any IndyCar Series driver.