Indy Racing League News and Notes, Aug. 30, 2004 Today's IRL headlines 1. IRL Postpones Homestead-Miami Road-Course Test 2. Fan And Media Event In Chicago Scheduled For Sept. 9 3. Firestone Presents Award to George 4. Post-Race Rewards For ...
Indy Racing League News and Notes, Aug. 30, 2004
Today's IRL headlines
1. IRL Postpones Homestead-Miami Road-Course Test
2. Fan And Media Event In Chicago Scheduled For Sept. 9
3. Firestone Presents Award to George
4. Post-Race Rewards For Franchitti, Hornish
5. Dallara Claims Chassis Manufacturers Title
1. IRL Postpones Homestead-Miami Road Course Test: Due to the forecasted path of Hurricane Frances, the Indy Racing League has postponed a private test at Homestead-Miami Speedway.
Five IRL IndyCar® Series teams and two Menards Infiniti Pro Series teams were scheduled to test mechanical parts for use in a road-racing package at Homestead-Miami Speedway on Sept. 2-4.
No date or location for the re-scheduled test has been announced.
2. Fan, Media Event In Chicago Scheduled For Sept. 9: The Indy Racing League will celebrate its upcoming race weekend at Chicagoland Speedway with a special fan event on Thursday, Sept. 9 at ESPN Zone in downtown Chicago.
IRL IndyCar® Series and IRL Menards Infiniti Pro Series drivers will meet fans and sign autographs followed by a free concert featuring 1999 Indianapolis 500 Champion Kenny Brack and his band, Kenny Brack and the Subwoofers. Fans will be able to put their driving skills to the test on the Indy Racing League's virtual reality driving simulator, which will be parked outside ESPN Zone.
IndyCar Series drivers scheduled to appear include Alex Barron, Ed Carpenter, Adrian Fernandez, Dario Franchitti, Felipe Giaffone, Kosuke Matsuura, Vitor Meira and 2004 Indianapolis 500 Champion Buddy Rice. Additionally, Menards Infiniti Pro Series drivers Thiago Medeiros, P.J. Chesson, Phil Giebler and Al Unser will participate in the autograph session. The free event begins at 4 p.m. and is open to the public.
3. Firestone Presents Award to George: Al Speyer, executive director of Firestone Racing, awarded a crystal bowl emblazoned with the IRL's 100th event logo to IRL President and CEO Tony George in pre-race ceremonies for the Firestone Indy 225 on Aug. 29 at Nazareth Speedway.
The bowl rests in a wood base inscribed with the names of every IndyCar Series race winner.
"Firestone is proud of its long-standing association with the IRL," Speyer said. "We've shared a common goal to deliver safe, exciting racing to the fans, and Firestone has supplied more than 100,000 Firehawk race tires that have racked up more than a million miles on the racetracks where the series competes. We decided to honor Tony and the IRL for their vision and efforts with this very special trophy on this very special occasion."
George, who served as grand marshal for the race, accepted the trophy from Speyer and expressed the IRL's appreciation for Firestone during a live ABC Sports interview.
"If it weren't for Firestone, I don't know where we would be," George said. "It started off as a supplier relationship, and it's grown into so much more. The partnership we have and enjoy today with Firestone is second to none in the industry. They sponsor races, they provide marketing support, they just do so much and they provide us a safe race tire, which is the most important thing. We've done a lot of good things together to grow our relationship, and I couldn't ask for a better partner than Firestone."
4. Post-race Rewards For Castroneves: Helio Castroneves earned the $10,000 Firestone Performance Award for leading lap 100 of the Firestone Indy 225 on Aug. 29 at Nazareth Speedway.
The award commemorates Firestone participation in every IndyCar Series event since the league's inception in 1996. Sunday's race was the league's 100th race.
Castroneves also earned the $7,500 Marlboro Lap Leader Award for leading the most laps in the race. Castroneves will be honored during pre-race festivities for the Delphi Indy 300 on Sept. 12 at Chicagoland Speedway.
5. Dallara Claims Chassis Manufacturers Title: With Dan Wheldon's win in the Firestone Indy 225, Dallara Automobili clinched the 2004 chassis manufacturer's title.
Dallara leads Panoz G Force 118-103 with three races remaining.
The 2004 IRL IndyCar Series season continues with the Delphi Indy 300 at 1:30 p.m. (EDT) on Sept. 12 at Chicagoland Speedway. The race will be broadcast live on ABC and the IMS Radio Network. The next Menards Infiniti Pro Series event is the Chicagoland 100 at 4:30 p.m. on Sept. 11 at Chicagoland Speedway. The race will be broadcast by ESPN2 at 3 p.m. (EDT) on Sept. 16