Indy Racing League News and Notes -- Nov. 5, 2004 Today's IRL headlines 1. IndyCar Series Drivers Nominated For Autosport Awards 2. Nunn Motorsports Test Set for Texas 3. On the road 1. IndyCar Series Drivers Nominated For Autosport Awards:...
Indy Racing League News and Notes -- Nov. 5, 2004
Today's IRL headlines
1. IndyCar Series Drivers Nominated For Autosport Awards
2. Nunn Motorsports Test Set for Texas
3. On the road
1. IndyCar Series Drivers Nominated For Autosport Awards: IRL IndyCar® Series drivers Dan Wheldon, Tony Kanaan, Dario Franchitti and Darren Manning are among the nominees for several Autosport awards, which are given annually by Autosport, England's leading motorsports magazine.
"It's always an honor to be nominated by a well-respected, worldwide motorsports magazine like Autosport," said Wheldon. "Winning the Autosport.com Rookie of the Year award in front of my friends and colleagues in London last year is a memory I won't soon forget. I'm hoping my success in the IndyCar Series this year and my fans voting around the world will help me get to the podium again. I have so many people to thank for my success this season and I'm hoping I get the opportunity to thank them in London."
Wheldon, who finished second in the IndyCar Series point standings, leads the IndyCar Series honorees with two nominations.
The driver of the No. 26 Klein Tools/Jim Beam Dallara/Honda/Firestone is joined by Kanaan, the 2004 IndyCar Series champion, among the drivers nominated for International Racing Driver of the Year. The award honors the top driver racing in a series outside of the United Kingdom. Among the other nominees are Formula One champion Michael Schumacher.
Wheldon and Franchitti are also nominated for the British Competition Driver of the Year, which is given to the top British driver racing internationally. Also nominated is Formula One standout Jenson Button and DTM standout Gary Paffert.
Manning is nominated for Autosport.com Rookie of the Year, which Wheldon won in 2003.
Readers of Autosport magazine will decide the winners in each category, while autosport.com users can vote for rookie of the year. The annual Autosport awards dinner will be held at the Grosvenor House hotel in London on Dec. 5.
2. Nunn Motorsports Test Set for Texas: Nunn Motorsports will test six women drivers in an IRL Menards Infiniti Pro Series^Ù car Nov. 8-10 at Texas Motor Speedway in hopes of offering the top driver a full-time ride for the 2005 season.
The six, Becca Anderson of Lincoln, Del., Juliana Chiovitti, a native of Sutton, Ontario now living in Las Vegas, Sondi Eden of Crawfordsville, Ind., Wendy Mathis of Brandon, Fla., Rossella Manfrinato of Milan, Italy and Sarah McCune of Perrysburg, Ohio, will share track time over the three days.
Each will be given the opportunity to take the Menards Infiniti Pro Series Rookie Test under the supervision Menards Infiniti Pro Series officials Roger Bailey and Butch Meyer.
3. On the road: A Purex IndyCar Series car will be on display through Nov. 7 in the midway at Phoenix International Raceway during the NASCAR event weekend at the track.
The IRL IndyCar Series opens its 10th season of competition with the Toyota Indy 300 on March 6, 2005 at Homestead-Miami Speedway. The race will be broadcast live on ESPN and the IMS Radio Network The 2005 Menards Infiniti Pro Series season also opens on March 6 at Homestead-Miami Speedway.