Da Matta, Junqueira lead 2nd straight Toyota 1-2 at Portland. - For the second consecutive race, Toyota-powered cars finished one-two with Cristiano da Matta leading Bruno Junqueira home by .625 seconds. Rookie Townsend Bell fell just short of...
Da Matta, Junqueira lead 2nd straight Toyota 1-2 at Portland.
- For the second consecutive race, Toyota-powered cars finished one-two with Cristiano da Matta leading Bruno Junqueira home by .625 seconds. Rookie Townsend Bell fell just short of making it a 1-2-3 Toyota finish coming home in fourth. Da Matta swept every possible point during the weekend, taking the Friday provisional pole, Saturday's pole, winning the race and leading the most laps. Kenny Brack led 55 of the first 59 laps before losing a tire exiting the pits while leading on Lap 60.
- Today's victory is the fourth of the season by Toyota and the manufacturer's sixth victory in the last eight FedEx Championship Series races. It's Toyota's 15th CART victory - all coming in the last two-plus seasons.
- Cristiano da Matta's (Chevron Toyota) victory today is his second in a row, third of the season and his fifth in the last eight races. It's da Matta's seventh career Champ Car win - all coming with Toyota power.
- Bruno Junqueira (Target Toyota) earned his second podium finish in the last four races with a second today. It's his third top-four finish in the last four races. His Target Chip Ganassi Racing teammate Scott Dixon made it two cars in the top seven with a seventh today. The finish moved Dixon into a tie for seventh in points.
- After qualifying in the top 10 for the fifth time in six races this season, rookie Townsend Bell earned his best-ever Champ Car finish with a fourth today. The San Luis Obispo, Calif.-native ran third much of the last half of the race before stalling in the pits on his last stop. Bell continues to hold the top spot in the Jim Trueman CART Rookie of the Year standings.
- Bruno Junqueira ran the race's fastest lap today. It was Junqueira's second fast lap of the season and Toyota's fourth in six races.
- Cristiano da Matta and Bruno Junqueira, from the same hometown in Brazil (Belo Horizonte) now lead the CART points race with da Matta holding a 74-54 lead. Christian Fittipaldi is now fifth, Scott Dixon is tied for seventh and Kenny Brack is ninth.
- Toyota-powered cars led all 110 laps today with Cristiano da Matta and Kenny Brack each leading 55 laps. It's the second consecutive race that Toyotas have led every lap. For the season, da Matta has now led 215 road course laps with Brack in second with 59.
Cristiano da Matta, #6 Chevron Toyota: "My whole team did a very good job today. I had a very good engine today, the only problem was the two guys I was racing with had the same Toyota engine. It was a lot of fun. It was a very fast-paced, hard race and I'm pleased with the result. Kenny (Brack) had a fast car. It would have been tough to pass him. The whole team is very excited about the season. It's something that doesn't happen very often (his current hot streak of five wins in eight races) and it's very rewarding."
Bruno Junqueira, #4 Target Toyota: "I was a little faster than Cristiano today, but not enough to make a big move and pass him and risk taking out both Toyotas up front. It was a shame for Kenny or maybe we might have had a Target one-two because it would have been easier to pass Cristiano if he'd had a car in front of him."
Manufacturer's Championship: Toyota 110, Honda 91, Ford 79
Next Race: CART Grand Prix of Chicago, June 30th, CBS, 3:30 p.m. EDT/12:30 PDT