Mario Dominguez - Driver, Car 55 Total Points: 118 Championship Position: 6th I think overall, you have to say it was a good season for all of us at Herdez Competition. We had some great results; the two podiums in Europe, the...
Mario Dominguez - Driver, Car 55
Total Points: 118 Championship Position: 6th
I think overall, you have to say it was a good season for all of us at Herdez Competition. We had some great results; the two podiums in Europe, the 1-2 finish in Miami and the third place in Mexico City - which felt like a win because of the incredible support from the crowd! But we also had some races that other people might not realize were important to us - I'd say the fifth place in Cleveland was one of the hardest-earned results I've ever had; the conditions were so tough that night. Also, the fifth place in Montreal was one we fought hard for. They weren't podiums but they felt like it because of the effort we put in to get there.
Everyone on the team can be proud of our sixth place finish in the championship. We proved that we can be competitive week-in, week-out. I was also very honored to receive the Bosch Most Improved Driver Award, especially because it was voted on by the other drivers.
Of course there is always room for improvement and development. We've come a long way in the last year and we need to keep that momentum over the winter so that we can come back for next season as contenders for the championship. I'm very motivated to train as hard as I can over the off- season so I can be 100% ready for 2004.
1. Dominguez was voted Champ Car's Most Improved Driver for 2003. The award, sponsored by Robert Bosch Corporation, was presented at the CART Champ Car Awards Celebration in Indian Wells, California.
2. Dominguez earned four podium finishes during 2003, including his victory on the streets of Miami, Florida.
3. Dominguez improved his qualifying position in 2003 vs. 2002 at every track he returned to, bar only one (Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez, Mexico City). Dominguez equaled or bettered his finishing position at all but three tracks that he returned to in 2003.
4. Dominguez was running at the finish of 14 of the 18 events. He completed 1840 of the possible 1922 laps in the 2003 competition, ranking him third overall with a percentage of 95.7%.
Roberto Moreno - Driver, Car 4
Total Points: 67 Championship Position: 13th
Of course, the cancellation of the race at California Speedway was not how any of us wanted to finish up the 2003 season. But we must remember the impact the fires were having on the people of the San Bernardino area - it was not the right time for us to be having a race when people were being put out of their homes.
I feel good about the 2003 season overall. I came to Herdez Competition to assist in the development of Mario Dominguez and to help in the development of the car. I feel that we have achieved those objectives. So my satisfaction with the season is not related to one particular day or event, though the 1-2 finish in Miami is a special memory. Simply put, my satisfaction was in seeing the development of the team as a whole, day in, day out. It gives me great pleasure to know that I am leaving the team after being part of their graduation to the next level of competitiveness and becoming one of the top teams in the Champ Car paddock.
1. Moreno earned a single podium position in 2003. On the streets of his adopted hometown, Miami, Florida, Moreno raced to second place, joining his teammate Mario Dominguez on the podium for an historic 1-2 finish; the first in Herdez Competition history.