DA Matta gives Toyota second straight win at Road America. - Today's win is Toyota's seventh in 12 races this season setting a new Toyota CART record for wins in a season. It's Toyota's 18th win in the last 48 CART races the highest total for...
DA Matta gives Toyota second straight win at Road America.
- Today's win is Toyota's seventh in 12 races this season setting a new Toyota CART record for wins in a season. It's Toyota's 18th win in the last 48 CART races the highest total for any manufacturer overthat time period. In addition to earning 20 points for the win, Toyota also added bonus points for most laps led and pole to increase its Manufacturer's Championship lead to 28 points over second-place Honda, 209-181. Ford is third, 45 points behind with 164.
- Today's victorymarks the second consecutive Toyota win at Road America, where it serves as the Official Car, following Bruno Junqueira's win a year ago.
- Cristiano da Matta (Havoline Toyota) earned his sixth win of the season and the 10th of his career all coming with Toyota power. With the win, he becomes just the eighth driver in CART history to win as many as six races in a season joining Juan Montoya, Alex Zanardi, Al Unser,Jr., Michael Andretti, Rick Mears, Mario Andretti and Bobby Unser.
- With his victory today, Cristiano da Matta extends his series points lead to 42 points over fellow Toyota driver Bruno Junqueira and Patrick Carpentier. with just seven races remaining this season.
- Bruno Junqueira's (Target Toyota) third-place finish marks his fourth podium and sixth top-five finish of the season. The result moves him back into a tie for second place in the CART points standings. After being involved in a first-lap crash at Mexico, Junqueira has finished second, third and fourth twice in the last four permanent road course events.
- Christian Fittipaldi (Lilly Toyota) registered his sixth top-six finish of the season with a sixth-place showing today. The effort moves Fittipaldi back into the top five in p points, giving his Newman/Haas race team the only pair of teammates in the top five.
- Three Toyota-powered drivers now rank in the top five in CART points and four sit in the top 10 with just seven races remaining. Toyota pilots Cristiano da Matta and Bruno Junqueira rank one-two with143 and 101 points, respectively. Christian Fittipaldi is now fifth with 82 points and Kenny Brack is 10th with 68 points.
Cristiano da Matta,#6 Havoline Toyota: "Bruno (Junqueira), Tag (Alex Tagliani) and I were running a very hard pace today and it didn't seem like anyone else could run that pace with us without short fueling. Newman/Haas and Toyota have done a lot of work to keep us up front and the team did a great job in the pits today." <pre> Toyota Drivers Start/Finish Cristiano da Matta 2/1 Bruno Junqueira 1/3 Christian Fittipaldi 11/6 Kenny Brack 7/14 ToraTakagi 13/15 OriolServia 9/16 ScottDixon 5/17
Next Race: Molson Indy Montreal, Aug. 25, SPEED, 2:00 p.m. EDT