Da Matta, Junqueira put Toyota 1-2 in Road America qualifying. - Today's provisional pole marks the 12th time this season that a Toyota-powered car has been on the top of a CART qualifying session more than double the amount of any other engine...
Da Matta, Junqueira put Toyota 1-2 in Road America qualifying.
- Today's provisional pole marks the 12th time this season that a Toyota-powered car has been on the top of a CART qualifying session more than double the amount of any other engine manufacturer. Honda is the closest to Toyota with five fast times, while Ford has had three.
- Cristiano da Matta's(Havoline Toyota) provisional pole today marks the 10th time he's been the fastest qualifier in 20 CART qualifying sessions this season. With the bonus point for the pole, da Matta has now earned a total of 15 this season (10 for qualifying, five for most laps led), the total is just one point shy of a second-place race finish.
- With today's provisional pole, Cristiano da Matta is guaranteed at least a front-row starting position for Sunday's race. The Brazilian now has seven front-row starting spots in 2002, no other driver has more than three.
- Bruno Junqueira (Target Toyota) gave Toyota a sweep of Friday's provisional front row as he was fastest for most of today's practice session before being nipped at the finish by Cristiano da Matta. Junqueira has the second-highest starting position in CART this season, surpassed only by his boyhood friend da Matta.
- Scott Dixon (Target Toyota) made it three Toyotas in the top-five and gave Target Chip Ganassi Racing two cars in the top five. Christian Fittipaldi (Lilly Toyota) and Oriol Servia (Visteon Toyota)were seventh and ninth, respectively, to give Toyota five of the top-nine cars in qualifying today.
- With Kenny Brack fastest in the morning practice and Cristiano da Matta fastest in the afternoon qualifying session, Toyota-powered cars topped both sessions at Road America today.
Toyota Road America Provisional Qualifying:
1. Cristiano da Matta
2. Bruno Junqueira
5. Scott Dixon
7. Christian Fittipaldi
9. Oriol Servia
13. Kenny Brack