NOTEWORTHY * Fernandez to Attempt Return at Road America...Adrian Fernandez, who has been undergoing intensive physical therapy for injuries received in a multi-car crash at Vancouver, will attempt to return to the cockpit this weekend....
* Fernandez to Attempt Return at Road America...Adrian Fernandez, who has been undergoing intensive physical therapy for injuries received in a multi-car crash at Vancouver, will attempt to return to the cockpit this weekend. Fernandez has missed one race since the July 28 incident, and was replaced by Max Papis at Mid-Ohio..."Our plan is to go to Elkhart Lake with one car prepared for Adrian and one for Max," said Tom Anderson, co-owner and managing director. "We will put Adrian in the car for the first practice session on Friday and see how he fares. If he is unable to drive then Max will take over again this weekend." Fernandez has finished on the podium at Elkhart Lake the past three years - third (2001), second (2000), third (1999).
* Motorola's "Call of the Race Award" was won last Sunday at Mid-Ohio by Player's/Forsythe Racing with driver Patrick Carpentier for the second straight race en route to his second win in the past three CART FedEx Championship Series events. Determined by a panel of four judges, the winner is awarded $3,000 cash based on a key decision resulting in the team's improvement in the race. The award is judged each race by motosports journalists Robin Miller and Jeremy Shaw, CART television analyst Ralph Sheheen and one local media representative.
* The Craftsman Pit Crew Challenge continued last weekend at Mid-Ohio with Target Chip Ganassi Racing's crew for driver Scott Dixon scoring the victory and earning 20 points. Team Rahal's crew for Michel Jourdain Jr. maintains the overall lead (85 to 83) over Player's/Forsythe Racing's crew for Alex Tagliani through 11 rounds. The award recognizes the efforts of CART FedEx Championship Series pit crew members and is based on a team's total time for pit stops during a race. Just as speed translates into money on the track, being quick in the pits will earn one team the season-ending award of $50,000 from Craftsman.
* The WorldCom Most Popular Driver Award allows fans to cast their vote for their favorite CART FedEx Championship Series driver by filling out an official entry form. These entry forms can be filled out on-site at Road America at the WorldCom Most Popular Driver voting tent. Also, voting can take place on CART's official website, www.cart.com, www.espn/rpm.com, www.speedtv.com and www.WorldComracing.com. Votes will be tabulated and a fan selected at random will have the opportunity to present the award to the Most Popular Driver at the 2002 CART FedEx Championship Series Awards banquet, a trip to the inaugural 2003 Grand Prix of St. Petersburg and a Skip Barber Racing School package. The winning driver will be presented with a trophy and a check for $25,000 that will be donated to the driver's favorite charity.
* CART Rocks Road America...Race fans attending the Friday, August 16th day of events at Road America will be in for a neat treat- the CART Rocks Road America party sponsored by Pioneer, CART & Milwaukee's Rock 102 One WLUM radio. Any CART Friday or Superticket holder will have access to this three-hour party featuring Wisconsin Garage Bands, CART celebrities, prizes and other cool things to do. Local garage bands battle for opportunity to open for rock band Train at the Pioneer Rock & Roar Concert Series stop at the CART FedEx Championship Series Shell Grand Prix of Denver September 1.
* RA Celebrates 21 Years of Champ Car Racing...Fan appreciation activities have been planned to celebrate the 21st anniversary of Champ Car racing at Road America. Join in the activities on Friday, August 16 at 12:15 p.m. for an open question Fan Forum with CART President and CEO Chris Pook and others at the VIP Tower Media Tent. At 4:15 p.m., a CART autograph session will be held at the CART Pace Car Transporter in the paddock followed by the CART Rocks Road America party at 5:00 p.m. in Turn 5. The above functions are open to anyone holding a CART Friday or Superticket.
* CART Karting Celebrity Challenge...This one of a kind promotional event for 20 lucky fans (eligibility through advance ticket purchase) will include karting activities with CART FedEx Championship Series and Barber Dodge Pro Series drivers at Road America's Briggs & Stratton Motorplex (near Turn 11). The event takes place Thursday August 15th from 3:00 - 5:00 p.m. Contact Mary Lou Haen at Road America (920) 893-3704 for more details.
Grand Prix at Road America Featuring the Motorola 220
Road America, Elkhart Lake, Wisc.
CART SCHEDULE (All times local):
FRIDAY, AUGUST 16 -
Barber Dodge practice, 9:10 - 9:40 a.m.
Champ Car practice, 10:00 - 11:30 a.m.;
Atlantic practice, 11:45 a.m. - 12:25 p.m.
Champ Car qualifying, 2:10 - 3:10 p.m.
Atlantic qualifying, 4:00 - 4:30 p.m.
Barber Dodge qualifying, 4:45 - 5:15 p.m.
SATURDAY, AUGUST 17
Atlantic practice, 9:10 - 9:40 a.m.
Champ Car practice, 10:00 - 11:15 a.m.
Barber Dodge qualifying, 11:30 a.m. - 12:05 p.m.
Atlantic qualifying, 12:20 - 12:50 p.m.
Champ Car qualifying, 1:45 - 2:45 p.m.
SUNDAY, AUGUST 18
Atlantic warm-up, 8:30 - 8:45 a.m.
Barber Dodge race, 9:00 - 9:40 a.m.
Champ Car warm-up, 10:00 - 10:30 a.m.
Atlantic race, 11:15 a.m.- 12:15 p.m.;
CART Motorola 220, 2:00 p.m.
U.S. TELEVISION SCHEDULE:
FRIDAY, AUGUST 16
SPEED Channel, CART qualifying, 5:00 p.m. ET
SPEED Channel, CART Friday Night, 10:30 p.m. ET.
SATURDAY, AUGUST 17
SPEED Channel, CART FedEx Championship Series qualifying, 2:30 p.m. ET (Live).
SUNDAY, AUGUST 18
SPEED Channel, Grand Prix at Road America Featuring the Motorola 220, 3:00 p.m., ET (Live).