This Week in Racing History
August 17 - Pete Brock born (1945).
- Ken Miles dies in testing crash at Riverside, California, USA (1965).
- Nigel Mansell competes in his first GP, the Austrian Grand Prix at Zeltweg. He suffers from burns from a fuel leak in the cockpit of his Lotus (1980).
August 18 - Dale Jarrett wins his first NASCAR Winston Cup race, at Michigan (1991).
- Michael Andretti wins the Texaco/Havoline 200 at Road America in Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin, USA. His 25th and the Newman- Haas team's 50th CART win (1996).
August 19 - Dale Inman born (1936).
- Mark Donohue dies from injuries suffered in a crash during practice for the Austrian Grand Prix (1975).
August 21 - Fred Agabashian born (1913).
August 22 - Ian Scheckter born (1947).
- Denny Milliani dies in a drag racing crash at Half Moon Bay, California, USA (1965).
In a previous TWiRH I typoed the year of Nigel Mansell's birth. It was 1953, not 1958.
Previous installments of This Week in Racing History can be found at the Motorsport News International website (http://www.motorsport.com/).