SCCAÂ® ProRally Championship Round 6 Falken Tire Pikes Peak International Hillclimb DENVER, Colorado Sixth round (of ten) for the 2002 season. A select group of 18 SCCA and FIA Performance Rally cars from across North America and drivers from...
SCCA® ProRally Championship Round 6 Falken Tire Pikes Peak International Hillclimb
DENVER, Colorado Sixth round (of ten) for the 2002 season. A select group of 18 SCCA and FIA Performance Rally cars from across North America and drivers from around the World will compete as a championship group for the very first time at the 80th running of "The Peak."
The SCCA ProRally Championship is presented by Hyundai Motor America, Mitsubishi Motor Sales of America, and Subaru of America.
When & Where:
June 29, 2002; Colorado Springs, CO; approximately 60 miles south of Denver CO.
Schedule: (subject to change) This schedule has been posted by the Pikes Peak International Hillclimb.
Thursday - 27 June
10:00 AM - 11:00 AM Scrutineering and Seed "0" start order draw - Crystal Reservoir Welcome Center
Friday - 28 June
5:30 AM 1st Practice and engine mapping session - Start to Glen Cove
6:00 AM - 9:00 AM 2nd Practice and engine mapping session -Cove Creek to Summit
9:00AM - 4:00 PM Recce and pacenoting
Saturday - 29 June
9:30 AM Competition begins - run order as follows:
HP Showroom Stock
Super Stock Truck & SUV
Super Stock Car
Sunday - 30 June
Awards Brunch 10:00 AM
Event Rank: This hillclimb is a full points SCCA ProRally Manufacturers Championship event for Open Class Manufacturer (Hyundai, Subaru and Mitsubishi) teams. This first-time appearance of the SCCA ProRally Championship at Pikes Peak is a non-points round for Drivers and Co-Drivers.
Selected entries (driver/co-driver):
· Hyundai: Current Manufacturer points leaders (61 points) Mark Higgins and Michael Gibson in #5 car, former SCCA champion Paul Choiniere with Cindy Krolikowski in #6 car, 2003 Tiburons.
· Subaru: 2001 Overall Driver and Manufacturer Champion Mark Lovell with Steve Turvey, and Ramana Lageman with Michael Kidd, 2002 WRXs.
· Mitsubishi: Current Pikes Peak HP Showroom Stock Champion Rhys Millen with Shonda Albertson, and Group 2 points leader Lauchlin O'Sullivan and Matt Chester, 2002 Lancer Evo VII and Evo 6.5
Additional news interest:
· Pikes Peak historical records indicate that no driver from England has ever won here - in any class. With two championship leading UK based teams, one from Subaru, and one from Hyundai, both in top form, if either wins here, it will be major history making back home.
· Both Hyundai and Mitsubishi have considerable experience at the Peak - but have never had to run under SCCA ProRally rules while at the peak, yet Subaru, with partner Prodrive, with its huge global rallying background, has no major Hillclimb experience at all, which may make for some interesting competition amongst the works teams. High on all teams challenges is the Championship's requirement that all rally cars run on street-legal unleaded fuel with functional catalytic converters - a rule that has kept the race engineers up a lot of sleepless nights as they learn to cope with the high altitudes.
· Co-drivers are an essential part of rallying, and for the SCCA ProRally Championship, this event is no exception. Conversely, practice runs are banned at SCCA ProRally events, so at Pikes Peak, teams are allowed to "recce & pacenote" in street cars, at posted speed limits, the Pikes Peak Highway pre-event. Each team will have one, brief look at the mountain at speed on Friday morning, and that's it.
· SCCA ProRally: http://www.sccaprorally.org
· Pikes Peak International Hillclimb: http://www.ppihc.com
The SCCA ProRally Championship is presented by Hyundai, Mitsubishi and Subaru, and is televised in North America on SpeedChannel. Time and date listing information available at www.speedtv.com
-scca pro racing-