FIA-Sportscar Championship Kyalami, South Africa 24/25 November 2001 Due to the worsening international situation, we were faced with a very difficult decision. The teams leaving from Italy, together with the Championship fuel supply, would...
Kyalami, South Africa
24/25 November 2001
Due to the worsening international situation, we were faced with a very difficult decision. The teams leaving from Italy, together with the Championship fuel supply, would have to leave today (12 October). If we allowed them to leave and the international situation deteriorated still further, there was a possibility that the teams leaving from Northern Europe 10 - 14 days later, and the teams who had elected to fly, could find that circumstances had changed and they were unable to travel.
Some teams are already experiencing difficulties with drivers, sponsors and technical support companies being unwilling to risk travelling.
We had entries from nearly all the top teams and, of course, with the local invitation classes in South Africa, we were looking forward to a strong grid. However, as no-one can predict what might happen in the next month, we have had to take the regrettable decision to postpone the event, rather than risk sending cars today (which would be on a round sea-trip for 9-11 weeks) with the possibility of a cancelled race. The assessment of the international situation will be made in about 6 weeks time with a view to establishing the new date.
It has been a good season for everyone connected with the Championship, and it would not be sensible to take a risk at the end of the season in such uncertain times.
We have had three great races at Kyalami and the current international situation will not effect our long-term South African calendar.