1. WELCOME - Welcome to the Rolex 24 At Daytona, round one of the ten-race Grand American Rolex Sports Car Series. Today's race will begin at 1:00 p.m. and will be broadcast live in its entirety on Speedvision. Live timing and scoring will also be...
1. WELCOME - Welcome to the Rolex 24 At Daytona, round one of the ten-race Grand American Rolex Sports Car Series. Today's race will begin at 1:00 p.m. and will be broadcast live in its entirety on Speedvision. Live timing and scoring will also be available throughout the race at www.grand-am.com.
2. GRAND-AM MEDIA SUPPORT - Grand-Am will be providing running notes throughout the race from the Benny Kahn Media Center. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Grand-Am is represented by Christie Hyde, Cara Coverdale and Patrick Murphy.
3. STARTING GRID - There will be a starting field of 79 cars. Car #49 SRPII Pilbeam has withdrawn from the 80-car field. The #16 Dyson Racing Ford Riley & Scott is on pole with James Weaver first at the wheel. Three cars were moved to the back of the pack for missing the cutoff time to pregrid. #02 Morrison/Mosler Racing Mosler MT900, #06 Jacobs Motorsports Ford R&S and #18 Comer Racing Corvette. All three cars were able to make the grid by start time after completing last minute mechanical repairs.
4. RACE START - 1:02 p.m. - Polesitter James Weaver #16 Ford R&S led the field into turn one with Jon Field #37 Banana Joes Judd Lola taking the lead by the end of lap one. Weaver #16 was back in front within a couple of laps. #32 Goldin Bros Racing Mazda RX7 came into the pits after the first pace lap, but returned to the track as the leaders completed their first lap. #83 Bobkin Motorsports took a spin in the grass right after turn one to on the first lap to start off the race. Goes behind the wall with front-end damage.
5. TIME 1:23 p.m. RUNNING - #67 Team Seattle The Racers Group Porsche GT3 R is towed back to the garage. Team Seattle was hoping to pass the $1 million mark in their fund raising efforts for the children's hospital in Seattle. Funds are raised by per-lap pledges. Team Seattle also has the #66 Porsche GT3 R running to raise funds. Jeret Schroeder in the #95 TRV Motorsport Chevrolet Riley & Scott was granted permission to go behind the wall. Retires with internal engine problems, possibly piston. Top-three cars - #12 Risi Competizione Ferrari 333SP, #37 Intersport Racing Ford Riley & Scott and #16 Dyson Racing Team Ford Riley & Scott - were very tight on the track, going head-to-nose.
6. FULL COURSE CAUTION - 1:27 p.m. - Full course caution due to debris on track. ACP Corvette takes 10-minute stop without driver change. Several cars enter for pit stops. #46 Caution ended at 1:37 p.m.
7. TIME 1:37 p.m. RUNNING - Jack Baldwin in #74 does not pit during caution to take lead. #76 Gunnar Racing Porsche GT3 RS, who has Paul Newman as a member of the driving team, comes into the pits, appearing to be leaking something. Taken behind the wall at 1:43 p.m.
8. TIME 1:53 p.m. RUNNING - #89 has first driver change of the race with Bob Woodman coming out and Robert Julien going in. #83 returns to the track from behind the wall. #74 loses lead when pits at 1:58 p.m. to change drivers. Jack Baldwin comes out and George Robinson goes in.
9. TIME 2:00 p.m. RUNNING - #16 loses lead to pit for driver change. Pole-winner James Weaver comes out to be replaced by Butch Leitzinger.
10. PIT NOTES - 1:14 p.m. #69 change turbocharger hose... 1:17 p.m. #55 repaired master switch... 1:20 p.m. #16 overheating, adds water... 1:26 pm. #71 changed wheel... 1:30 p.m. #09 leaky clutch... 2:02 p.m. #114 smoke under hood.
11. BEHIND THE WALL - 2:15 p.m. - #76 Gunnar Racing Porsche 3R S was hit in the back by a white Camaro. Team is replacing turbo and will return... #02 Morrison/Mosler Racing Mosler, who was the fastest qualifier in the GT class, has gearbox problem and plans to return to race.
12. TIME 2:20 p.m. RUNNING - #46 and #42 go behind the wall. #15 Chamberlain Motorsports Viper being towed in because it ran out of gas.
13. TIME 2:25 p.m. RUNNING - Dale Earnhardt goes in #3 Corvette, replacing Andy Pilgrim.
14. FULL COURSE CAUTION - 2:26 p.m. - #23 Gwen Racing Camaro blows right tire and goes into the wall. Team says chassis looks good and hopes to return to track, depending on available spares. #20 Dyson Racing Team Nissan Lola changes drivers, taking out EFR and putting in Rob Dyson. #44 Team Amick Motorsports driver change with fastest class qualifier Joe Varde out and David Amick in. #89 changes drivers for the second time in the race. Caution ends at 2:40 p.m.
15. TIME 2:40 p.m. RUNNING - Light rain beginning to fall. #12 in lead, followed by #16, #37 and #20. #2 Corvette leads GTS and is in 7th overall. #5 Rocketsports Saleen S7R blows tire at 2:49 p.m. #25 Marcos Racing International Marcos Mantara granted permission to go behind the wall. #5 granted permission to go behind wall because of left rear suspension. #09 Team X-1R Camaro granted permission to go behind the wall.
16. DOUBLE YELLOWS - 2:55 p.m. - Debris on the front straightaway and #78 and #91 collided in turn one.
17. CLASS LEADERS - 3:00 p.m. - SRP & Overall - #12 Risi Competizione Ferrari 333 SP; GTS - #2 Corvette Racing Corvette (7th overall); SRPII - #89 Porsche Haus Racing Nissan Lola (12th overall); GT - #54 JET Motorsports BMW M3 (16th overall); AGT - #44 Team Amick Motorsports (22nd overall).
18. CAUTION 3:09 p.m. - Paul Newman enters #76 Porsche GT1 during pit stop. End of caution at 3:12 p.m.
19. BEHIND THE WALL - 3:12 p.m. - #09 tried to miss debris in the bus stop and got into the soft grass, tearing off the nose of the car. Only took car behind the wall, but not to the garage. Replaced the nose behind the pits and returned to track.
20. TIME 3:14 p.m. RUNNING - #47 comes in with flat tire then is granted permission to go behind the wall. #6 goes behind wall.
21. PIT NOTES - 1:29 p.m. #8 engine work... 2:05 p.m. #83 front end repairs... 2:16 p.m. #12 Allan McNish goes into car... 2:20 p.m. #43 Kyle Petty into car... 2:26 p.m. #2 Johnny O'Connell into car... 2:28 p.m. #30 front damage.
22. BEHIND THE WALL - 3:25 p.m. - #62 returns to track. #47 Evil Eye Racing Porsche GT3 RS was hit in the bus stop and needs a new radiator, windshield and front end. #25 Marcos Racing International Marcos Mantara has broken radiator.
23. TIME 3:31 p.m. RUNNING - #25 returns to the track from behind the wall. #74 pits for driver change with Irv Hoerr going in to replace George Robinson. #12 leads, followed by #16.
24. PIT NOTES - 1:38 p.m. #38 vibration after first tire change, so they change two more fronts... 2:17 p.m. #8 engine work... 2:35 p.m. #8 engine work... 1:55 p.m. #09 replaced driving lights... 3:20 p.m. #20 driver change to put Max Papis in car to replace Rob Dyson... 3:15 p.m. #27 driver change to put in Freddy Lienhard to replace Didier Theys... 3:23 p.m. #09 nose off to replace lights.
25. TIME 3:48 p.m. RUNNING - Rain beginning to fall. #18 Comer Racing Corvette smoking and stops at end of chicane. #37 returns to the race track. #06 smoking and slowing.
26. CLASS LEADERS - 4:00 p.m. - SRP & Overall - #12 Risi Competitione Ferrari 333SP; GTS - Corvette Racing Corvette (6th overall); SRPII - #89 Porsche Raus Racing Nissan Lola (12th overall); GT - #54 JET Motorsports BMW M3 (15th overall); AGT - #44 Team Amick Motorsports Corvette (47th overall).
27. PIT NOTES - 2:53 - #62 engine fire.....3:01 - #91 crashed, will attempt return....3:49 - #16 driver change - Wallace in, Leitzinger out. ....3:36 - #74 Hoerr in, Robinson out.
28. BEHIND THE WALL - 4:15 - #44 Team Amick Corvette working on transmission. #28 Intersport Racing Ford R&S broken shifter fork (5th gear).
29. RAIN - 4:25 - Rain is getting heavier. Teams begin coming in for rain tires.
30. IN THE GARAGE - 4:37 - #32 Mazda spun and could not restart. Towed to garage looking for an electrical short......#78 Mader Norma crashed with #15 Viper and brought to garage for body and front end repairs.
31. DEBRIS - 4:38 - Nose of #02 car on the track. Safety workers were able to remove the debris without a caution.
32. EARNHARDT CAR UPDATE - 4:41 - With Kelly Collins at the wheel, the #3 Corvette shared with Dale and Dale Jr. is currently running tenth overall, fourth in GTS class.
33. TRIVIA - Of the 79 cars on the official starting grid, there are a total of 310 drivers among them.
34. MOSLER TO GARAGE - 4:56 - The #02 Mosler MT900 spent significant time on pit road looking at a radiator problem. They are moving the car to the garage for more repairs.
35. CLASS LEADERS - 5:00 p.m. - SRP & overall - #16; GTS - #2; SRPII - #89; GT - #54; AGT - #11.
36. LOCAL CAUTION - 5:07 p.m. - #83 stopped on apron at pit exit and had to be towed. Car retired due to engine failure. Caution ended at 5:14 p.m.
37. TIME 5:15 p.m. RUNNING - Steady rain continuing. #44 and #41 penalized for passing under yellow. #2 driver change with Franck Freon going in. #02 retires after being hit in the nose twice and running out of front body parts. Co-owner Tommy Morrison said he considers the race a good experience, despite retiring early, stating that the car performed well and was the fastest in qualifying in the class. #92 goes behind the wall with engine trouble.
38. ALL COURSE CAUTION - 5:32 p.m. - #65 and #48 collided with #65 spinning into the infield before regaining control and returning to the track. #48 stopped in the center of the track. Everyone told to put on headlights due to rain. #3 pushed into pits for driver change with Andy Pilgrim going in and Kelly Collins coming out. #65 goes behind the wall. #42 stops on the east bank. Caution ends at 5:50 p.m.
39. TIME 5:51 p.m. RUNNING - Rain let up considerable, with only a light drizzle remaining. #17 penalized for passing under yellow.
40. CLASS LEADERS - 5:55 p.m. - SRP & Overall - #16; GTS - #2 (6th overall); SRPII - #89 (9th overall); GT - #54 (12th overall); AGT - #96 (49th overall).
41. PIT NOTES - 3:30 p.m. #09 body parts repaired and motor trouble.
42. TIME 6:06 p.m. RUNNING - #66 spins out in the grass at turn one. Returns to the track, but then pulls off at turn 3 with flat rear tire. #74 Robinson Racing Judd Riley & Scott granted permission to go behind the wall because motor is running flat.
43. BEHIND THE WALL - 6:14 p.m. - #30 reports they have a gearbox problem, which they are repairing and planning to return to race.
44. ALL COURSE CAUTION - 6:21 p.m. - #6 and #68 in the wall at turn four. #6 badly damaged and got into #68, who was able to make it to pits for driver change. Caution ended at 6:36 p.m.
45. PIT NOTES - 5:16 p.m. #63 brake bleed... 5:23 p.m. #11 wipers... 5:35 p.m. #46 clean windows... 5:22 p.m. #24 body panels... 5:32 p.m. #57 driver side door problems... 5:55 p.m. #26 radio problems... 5:56 p.m. #41 broken rear spoiler... 5:34 p.m. #26 adjusted mirrors... 5:35 p.m. #26 more adjustments... 5:48 p.m. #55 repairs on left rear... 6:00 p.m. #35 transmission work.
46. TIME 6:40 p.m. RUNNING - #06 behind the wall
47. OUT OF RACE - 6:48 p.m. - Cars officially out of the race are #5, #6, #13, #42, #45, #49, #58, #64, #75, #91, #95, #02, #03.
48. RACE LEADERS - 6:50 p.m. - SRP & Overall - #12; GTS - #2 (5th overall); SRPII - #89 (10th overall); GT - #31 (12th overall); AGT - #09 (46th overall).
49. TIME 6:57 p.m. RUNNING - Most cars back to slick tires as track gets drier. #26 stopped on east bank.
50. RACE LEADERS - 7:00 p.m. - SRP & Overall - #16; GTS - #2 (5th overall); SRPII - #89 (10th overall); GT - #31 (13th overall); AGT - #09 (45th overall).
51. TIME 7:01 p.m. RUNNING - #74 re-enters race after being behind the wall. #46 and #96 being towed back to their garages.
52. PIT NOTES - 6:26 p.m. #16 driver change with Butch Leitzinger in and James Weaver out...
53. TIME 7:10 p.m. RUNNING - #3 pits for driver change with Dale Earnhardt Jr. replacing Andy Pilgrim. #3 took slight spin off track in turn 3 in first lap after driver change, but regained control and re-entered track. #12 takes lead but retaken by #16. #32 takes the lead in the GT class.
54. BEHIND THE WALL - #06 reports they have a cracked block and do not plan to return to race. #26 reports broke left half shaft and are replacing broken shaft and front brake pads while the car is up. They plan to return to race. #46 reports electrical problems are plaguing car. They are replacing alternator and hope to get back out, but spare alternator does not fit and must be modified.
55. TIME 7:20 p.m. RUNNING - #8 granted permission to go behind the wall. #8 reports electrical problems. The car does not want to start, despite turning over. Unlikely at this stage for the car to return. #28 retired due to engine failure. #65 granted permission to go behind the wall.
56. CLASS LEADERS - 7:32 p.m. - SRP & overall - #16; GTS - #2 (5th overall); SRPII - #89 (10th overall); GT - #31 (13th overall); AGT - #11 (44th overall)
57. TIME 7:35 p.m. RUNNING - #37 granted permission to go behind the wall with left rear suspension damage. #21 into the tires on turn 5. #27 stopped on the apron in NASCAR turn one. Crew suspects gearbox again.
58. TIME 7:48 p.m. RUNNING - #16 leads with #12, #20, #38 and #2 rounding out top five. #3 car running 9th overall and 4th in class. #16 in to pits for driver change putting Andy Wallace in and taking Butch Leitzinger out. #12 into pits for driver change with Ralf Kelleners going in and Eric van de Poole come out.
59. CLASS LEADERS - 8:00 p.m. - SRP & overall - #16;GTS - #2(5th overall); SRPII - #89(10th overall); GT - #31(11th overall); AGT - #11(43rd overall).
60. DYSON IN - 8:02 p.m. - Dyson in, EFR out in #20
61. UPDATED CARS OUT LIST - 8:10 p.m. - #5, #6, #15, #28, #42, #76, #91, #95, #02
62. TIME 8:15 p.m. RUNNING - #55 Club Yellow Magic Ferrari stopped on the apron.......#12 Risi Competizione is running on dimming lights. His crew has been told to bring him in for repairs or he will be black flagged.......#79 is in the garage with a gear box problem. They are attempting to fix it and return to race.........#38 into pits with heavy smoke.
63. TIME 8:30 p.m. RUNNING - #38 is going behind the wall. Driver Sascha Maassen explained the car lost power and he was bringing it in. As he entered pit road the car began to smoke with an engine problem. There is not much optimism they will be able to make repairs.
64. TIME 8:43 p.m. RUNNING - #09 reentered after a lengthy stop with Conway driving.
65. TIME 8:46 p.m. - LEADER MARGINS - SRP - #16 over #12 - one lap margin; GTS - #2 over #24 - three lap margin; GT - #31 over #54 - same lap; SRPII - #22 over #62 - 12 lap margin; AGT - #11 over #44 - 11 lap margin.
66. TIME 8:50 p.m. - RUNNING - #20 - Dyson out, Papis in.......#62 Hampton in.......#47 Foster in. #53 behind wall. #55 in garage after crash with #54. Bumper replaced. Fuel pump damaged in crash.
67. TIME 8:59 p.m. - RUNNING - #3 Collins out, Earnhardt Sr. in.
68. CLASS LEADERS - 9:00 p.m. - Overall and SRP - #12, GTS - #2, SRPII - #22, GT #31, AGT - #11.
69. TIME 9:02 p.m. RUNNING - #18 stopped at pit exit...#2 Fellows in...#44 D. Amick in and then spins in hairpin.
70. UPDATED CARS OUT LIST - 9:18 p.m. - #5, #6, #8, #15, #27, #28, #42, #76, #80, #83, #91, #95, #02
71. TIME 9:23 p.m. RUNNING - #43 pits for driver change putting Kyle Petty in.
72. TIME 9:33 p.m. RUNNING - #3 car replaces right rear flat tire and returns to track with only one working headlight. #66 granted permission to go behind the wall. #37 is being piloted by 17-year-old Clint Field, the youngest driver in the race.
73. TIME 9:45 p.m. RUNNING - Second-place #12 loses wheel on back straightaway. #4 working on gear shift. #79 granted permission to go behind the wall.
74. CLASS LEADERS - 10:23 p.m. - SRP & Overall - #16; GTS - #2 (4th overall); GT - #31 (7th overall); AGT - #11 (34th overall)
75. TIME 10:25 p.m. RUNNING - #78 appears to be out of the race due to a blown engine. #3 car pits to take Dale Earnhardt out and replace him with Andy Pilgrim. #114 returns to track from behind the wall.
76. BEHIND THE WALL - #0 reports they lost their gear selection, losing everything but fifth and sixth gear. They anticipate repairing and returning to the race. #69 believes they have transmission problems and hope to return to the race. #79 reported high-water temperatures. Did repair and returned to track. #68 reports back axle failure, which was repaired and the car returned.
77. TIME 10:34 RUNNING - #7 goes behind the wall. The car lost water, but no water leaks found. Water went into the oil. Possible cracked cylinder. Doubtful on return.
78. TIME 10:42 RUNNING - #12 moves past #20 to retake the second-place position.
79. CLASS LEADERS - SRP & Overall - #16; GTS - #2 (4th overall); GT - #31 (7th overall); AGT - 11th (34th overall).
80. TIME 10:52 RUNNING - #46 and #9 go behind the wall. #20 gearbox problems; were going to go behind pit row, but decided to fix in pit.
81. TIME 11:02 p.m. RUNNING - #81 to change right rear axle. #0 goes behind wall.
82. BEHIND THE WALL - #65 reports they were hit on the side, breaking right rear wheel. Team repaired then had broken drive shaft.
83. ALL COURSE CAUTION - 11:13 p.m. - #47 and #40 collided off turn six. #47 hit NASCAR turn two and had to be towed off track. Leader #16 pits for driver change to put in Butch Leitzinger. #3 yellow flagged for no lights. #74 pits for driver change to put in Buddy Lazier. Caution ended at 11:33 p.m.
84. LEADERS - 11:33 p.m. - #16 with 314 laps, #12 (six laps back), #20 (14 laps back), #2 (15 laps back), #24 (19 laps back)
85. TIME 11:34 p.m. RUNNING - #37 and #32 being towed back to the garage. #2 over takes #20 to take third place.
86. BEHIND THE WALL - #46 reports they are fighting charger system problems and plan to return to the track after daybreak. #9 reports their nose was knocked off, and they are changing the radiator, oil cooler and front body.
87. TIME 11:53 p.m. RUNNING - Light rain beginning to fall.
88. FULL COURSE CAUTION - 11:56 p.m. - #48 collision with debris scattered. Leader #16 pits for driver change and to make adjustments to car. Power steering fluid is dripping onto the pedals, making them slippery.
89. TIME 12:03 a.m. RUNNING - Leader #16 returns to track with intermediate rain tires. #3 pits for driver change with Dale Earnhardt Jr. going in. Crew makes adjustments under the hood of #3 and puts on intermediate rain tires. Rain has slowed to a mist.
90. CAUTION ENDS - 12:12 a.m.
91. TIME 12:12 a.m. RUNNING - #3 with Dale Earnhardt Jr. at the wheel overtakes #24 for the 5th-place spot overall (2nd in GTS class). #16 lead over #12 cut to three laps due to extra time for adjustments in pit lane during caution.
92. TIME 12:20 a.m. RUNNING - #3 with Dale Earnhardt Jr. at the wheel comes into the pits for what appears to be a transmission swap. #20 is making shifter mount repairs.
93. CARS OUT UPDATE TIME 12:20 a.m. - #5, #6, #7, #8, #15, #27, #28, #36, #38, #42, #76, #80, #83, #91, #95, #02
94. BEHIND THE WALL - #32 reports they broke a hub, which they are repairing and hope to return.
95. TIME 12:28 p.m. RUNNING - #79 retires. #9 returns to the track.
96. LEADERS - 12:30 a.m. - #16 on lap 339, #12 (3 laps), #2 (12 laps), #31 (23 laps), #54 (24 laps), #20 (24 laps), #3 (26 laps)
97. TIME 12:32 a.m. RUNNING - #17 goes behind wall to access possible dropped valve. #0 returns to the track. #20 returns to track. #69 returns to the track.
98. TIME 12:41 a.m. RUNNING - #3 puts Dale Earnhardt Jr. back in car believing the transmission replacement is complete, but still is unable to leave the pits. Crew believes it is the half shaft. Earnhardt Jr. reported transmission problems when he came into the pits, and crew believes his inexperience in cars with half shafts might have caused him to relay incorrect information.
99. TIME 12:46 a.m. RUNNING - #16 driver change