Team Chevy Ready for 2011 GRAND-AM Opener at Daytona
Nine Teams Set for Daytona
DETROIT -- Team Chevy will be well represented when GRAND-AM Road Racing opens this weekend with the 49th running of the prestigious Rolex 24 at Daytona: Nine teams will wear the Bowtie at Daytona International Speedway.
"We are excited to head into the Rolex 24 at Daytona with such an outstanding team and driver lineup," said Mark Kent, GM Racing Director. "Our teams left the Roar Before the Rolex 24 testing session earlier this month well prepared and optimistic about the race weekend.
"Our GM Racing engineers worked tirelessly with our teams, preparing the best possible packages for all of our Chevrolet entries in three classes. The collaborative effort has resulted in what we believe will be an extraordinarily competitive effort by our teams in DP, GT and GS."
Three teams powered by Chevrolet engines will compete in the GRAND-AM Rolex Series Daytona Prototype (DP) class:
* The No. 10 SunTrust Racing Chevrolet/Dallara, driven by former Rolex 24 winner and series champion Max Angelelli, full-time team driver Ricky Taylor, IndyCar regular Ryan Briscoe, and team owner and former series champion Wayne Taylor.
* The No. 99 GAINSCO/Bob Stallings Racing Chevrolet/Riley, driven by two-time GRAND-AM DP series champions and full-time team drivers Alex Gurney and Jon Fogarty, and five-time defending NASCAR Cup series champion Jimmie Johnson.
* The No. 90 Spirit of Daytona, driven by past Rolex 24 at Daytona winner Antonio Garcia, 2008 GRAND-AM Rolex Series GT champion Paul Edwards, and three-time American Le Mans Series (ALMS) class champion Sascha Maassen.
Three teams will showcase the iconic Chevrolet Camaro in the GRAND-AM Rolex Series Grand Touring (GT) class:
* The No. 07 Banner Racing Chevrolet Camaro GT.R, driven by GRAND-AM series veterans Eric Curran and Bruce Ledoux, Corvette Racing's 24 Hours of Le Mans winner and ALMS champion Oliver Gavin, and veteran Gunter Schaldach.
* The No. 57 Stevenson Motorsports Chevrolet Camaro GT.R, driven by 2009 Danish Peugeot Spider Cup winner Ronnie Bremer, two-time GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series GT runner-up Robin Liddell, and Corvette Racing's 24 Hours of Le Mans winner and ALMS champion Jan Magnussen.
* The No. 88 Autohaus Motorsports Chevrolet Camaro GT.R, driven by leading GRAND-AM and former NASCAR driver Bill Lester, Rolex 24 and World Touring Car Championship veteran Matthew marsh, Rolex 24 winner Johnny O'Connell and Jordan Taylor.
Three teams will represent Chevrolet in the GRAND-AM Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge Series Grand Sport (GS) class:
* The No. 9 Stevenson Motorsports Camaro GS.R, driven by Matt Bell and former Formula Atlantic and Star Mazda champion John Edwards.
* Mitchum Motorsports will field two cars: the No. 6 Camaro GS.R, driven by Jeff Bucknum and SCCA World Challenge champion Robert Stout; and the No. 62 Camaro GS.R, driven by Joey Atterbury and 2010 Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge Street Tuner class co-champion Lawson Aschenbach.
* CKS Autosport also will field two cars: the No.s 00 and 01 Camaro GS.Rs, driven by Eric Curran and Ashley McCalmont.
Practice and qualifying for both the Rolex 24 at Daytona and Continental Tire Sports Challenge 200 is scheduled to begin Thursday, January 27. Following practice sessions on Friday for all series and classes, the Continental Tire Sports Challenge 200 starts at 1:30 p.m.
The 49th running of the Rolex 24 at Daytona is scheduled to start at 3:30 p.m. on Saturday.
-source: team chevy