Chip Ganassi Racing Drivers Honored on 2008 All-America Auto Racing First Team INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (December 18, 2008) -- Target Chip Ganassi Racing's Scott Dixon, and TELMEX Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates' Scott Pruett and Memo Rojas...
Chip Ganassi Racing Drivers Honored on 2008 All-America Auto Racing First Team
INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (December 18, 2008) -- Target Chip Ganassi Racing's Scott Dixon, and TELMEX Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates' Scott Pruett and Memo Rojas have been voted to the 2008 All-America Auto Racing First Team by the American Auto Racing Writers and Broadcasters Association (AARWBA). The 17 drivers selected for the First Team are also eligible for the Jerry Titus Award that will be presented to the Driver of the Year on Jan. 10 in Ontario, Calif.
Notes of Interest:
* Dixon and Helio Castroneves swept First Team honors in the Open-Wheel category as the top two vote getters. Dixon, the IndyCar Series champion, recorded a record-tying six victories in 2008, including the Indianapolis 500, to win his second series championship. The two of them easily outdistanced the other nominees in the Open Wheel category. Dixon is now a three-time First Team All-American.
* The Daytona Prototype champions Scott Pruett and Memo Rojas, whose six victories included the Rolex 24 Hours At Daytona were nominated in the Grand-Am category. Chip Ganassi and Felix Sabates are the first team owners in history to win the Rolex 24 At Daytona in three consecutive years.
* Pruett, with his 10th First-Team selection and 12th overall, is now tied with drag racing legend Don Garlits for the third-most appearances on the First Team, and behind only Steve Kinser and John Force. He is also just the 15th driver to be voted an All-American as many as 12 times. His teammate Rojas was named to his first All-America team.
* 2008 Target Chip Ganassi Racing driver Dan Wheldon earned Honorable Mention honors and has now been named to the team for the fourth time in his career.
* New Target Chip Ganassi Racing driver Dario Franchitti was the recipient of the Jerry Titus Award in 2007. Franchitti will be making his return to the IndyCar Series in 2009 as driver of the No.10 Target car.