The No. 10 Velocity Worldwide Corvette Dallara DP of Wayne Taylor Racing (WTR) will start Sunday’s GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series Continental Tire Sports Car Festival from the outside of the front row after qualifying Saturday night at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca near Monterey, Calif.
Max “The Ax” Angelelli, who with co-driver Jordan Taylor leads in the Rolex Series driver championship with just two races remaining this season, clocked a fast lap of 1 minute, 21.578 seconds at 98.762 mph around the 2.238-mile, 11-turn hillside road course. It was good for second-best among the 34 car-and-driver combinations that will take the green flag for Sunday’s two-hour, 45-minute race.
Westbrook, who co-drives the Spirit of Daytona Corvette DP with Ricky Taylor, earned his first pole of the season and the fourth of his career. Angelelli and Jordan Taylor are at the top of the Daytona Prototype-class driver standings with eight other drivers within five points of their lead with only Sunday’s race and Laguna Seca and the Sept. 28 season finale at Lime Rock Park in Lakeville, Conn., left on the schedule. Among the other championship-contending cars, Christian Fittipaldi qualified fifth in the No. 5 Action Express Racing Corvette DP, Memo Rojas qualified seventh in the No. 01 Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates BMW Riley, Jon Fogarty qualified eighth in the No. 99 Gainsco/Bob Stallings Racing Corvette DP, and Alex Popow qualified ninth in the No. 2 Starworks BMW Riley. Westbrook and Ricky Taylor are a distant 35 points back in the championship.
The top-five qualifiers for Sunday’s Continental Tire Sports Car Festival at Laguna Seca are:
1. Spirit of Daytona Racing (No. 90 Corvette DP) with Richard Westbrook and Ricky Taylor (1:21.557 at 98.787 mph).
2. Wayne Taylor Racing (No. 10 Corvette DP) with Max Angelelli and Jordan Taylor (1:21.578 at 98.762 mph).
3. Team Sahlen (No. 42 BMW Riley) with Dane Cameron and Wayne Nonnamaker (1:21.681 at 98.637 mph).
4. Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates (No. 02 BMW Riley) with Dario Franchitti and Scott Dixon (1:21.833 at 98.454 mph).
5. Action Express Racing (No. 5 Corvette DP) with Christian Fittipaldi and Joao Barbosa (1:21.900 at 98.374 mph).