RT RUSSIAN TIME driver quickest in Sakhir.
The tenth season of the GP2 Series opened today at Bahrain International Circuit in windy conditions on a dirty track. It was Mitch Evans who ended the forty-five minute free practice session on top with a laptime of 1:42.062, a mere 0.06s quicker than rookie Stoffel Vandoorne.
As the pitlane opened, the DAMS duo was the first one to take to the track. With all twenty-six drivers having tested for three days on this track a few days ago, the opening minutes of the session were relatively quiet seeing mainly installation laps on Pirelli Hard tyres.
The remainder of the session saw the rest of the field trying to close the gap to Evans. In the final stages, newcomers Vandoorne and Raffaele Marciello swapped second place, but it was eventually the Belgian driver who managed to put together a laptime a hairsbreadth away from Evans’. With two minutes left on the clock, De Jong stopped at turn 2 which brought out a red flag and an early end to the session.
Behind Evans and Vandoorne, Marciello, Daniel Abt, Stéphane Richelmi, Rio Haryanto, André Negrao, Jolyon Palmer, Simon Trummer and Daly rounded up the top ten. But this pecking order could change tonight during the qualifying session which will take place at 8pm (local time) under the lights of the Bahrain International Circuit.
Sakhir – Free Practice
1. Mitch Evans - RT RUSSIAN TIME - 1:42.062
2. Stoffel Vandoorne - ART Grand Prix - 1:42.124
3. Raffaele Marciello - Racing Engineering - 1:42.269
4. Daniel Abt Hilmer - Motorsport - 1:42.319
5. Stéphane Richelmi - DAMS - 1:42.373
6. Rio Haryanto - EQ8 Caterham Racing - 1:42.388
7. André Negrao - Arden International - 1:42.507
8. Jolyon Palmer - DAMS - 1:42.533
9. Simon Trummer - Rapax - 1:42.553
10. Conor Daly - Venezuela GP Lazarus - 1:42.574
11. Takuya Izawa - ART Grand Prix - 1:42.606
12. Stefano Coletti - Racing Engineering - 1:42.607
13. Arthur Pic - Campos Racing - 1:42.629
14. Daniiel De Jong - MP Motorsport - 1:42.653
15. Julian Leal - Carlin - 1:42.664
16. Felipe Nasr - Carlin - 1:42.707
17. Alexander Rossi - EQ8 Caterham Racing - 1:42.959
18. Johnny Cecotto - Trident Racing - 1:42.984
19 Adrian Quaife-Hobbs - Rapax - 1:42.997
20. Rene Binder - Arden International - 1:43.071
21. Jon Lancaster - MP Motorsport - 1:43.076
22. Nathanaël Berthon - Venezuela GP Lazarus - 1:43.307
23. Facu Regalia - Hilmer Motorsport - 1:43.547
24. Artem Markelov - RT RUSSIAN TIME - 1:43.815
25. Axcil Jefferies - Trident - 1:43.842
26. Kimiya Sato - Campos Racing - 1:44.243