On Track Volume 15 ...
On Track Volume 15 #4
If you want one of the better overviews of the upcoming F1 and Indy Car seasons, get the latest issue of On Track. They are HQ'ed in North Carolina and their phone# is 704-371-3966. It costs $37 per year.
Notes from the Mag.
On 3/14 On Track goes on TV also on the Speedvision Network. (Hopefully you get it, I don't)
* F1: A note from the editor: 1996 F1 races will only be shown live on ESPN2. They will be shown on Sunday nights on ESPN in West Coast Prime time. From the upcoming schedule it looks like they may also be showing qualifying sessions. If you live in the SF bay area and get TCI cable write their marketing department a note asking for ESPN2 and Speedvision; maybe if enough of us write we may get lucky.
Prost is pleased with the new Mclaren, it looks much like the 1995 version except that the raised nose is flat and rounded like last years Benneton.
There are pictures of most of the new cars, the new high sides on the cockpits make for an interesting look. The new Williams car looks much like last year's, they say it is an evolutionary design.
Benetton is struggling and Tyrrell is off to a quick start.
* INDYCAR: Roberto Moreno is returning to Indycars with the Payton/Coyne Team. Vasser was the fastes at spring training in Homestead.
The US 500 backers will be Penzoil, Texaco, Mercedes-Benz, Toyota and Indeck, Ticket sales have ben brisk and they expect a 100,000 person sellout.
Letterman is a partner on Rahal's team.
* Trans Am: The first race is this Sunday on TV on TNN 6:00 PST. Ron Fellows will start the season with his 1995 car.
* Toyota Atlantic: Mark Dismore is making a limited Return to the series as a test driver for RDS motorsport; their driver will be Canadian Cristian Vandal
Bill Auberlen and Tim Hubman will run in the BDJS/Ralt America team with sponsorship from Momo.
Joe Sposato, the driver with the most starts in the series, will race a Ralt RT-41.
Indy Lights: Ex-F1 driver Hideki Noda will drive for the Indy Regency team based in Indianapolis.
Claude Bourbonnais and David Empringham will be driving for the Player's Forsythe racing team. They were the fastest at spring training in Homestead.
* NASCAR: Tony Stewart, who won 3 USAC sprint car titles last year and finished second in the first IRL race for Menard, has joined the Harry Ranier BGN team. Waddell Wilson has joined the team.
* IMSA: The Riley & Scott team that won at Daytona with Wayne Taylor as the primary driver is planning to compete at Le Mans.
*Other news: Leo Mehl is retiring from Goodyear
The Fittipaldis, Emerson, Chrisian and Wilson (Emmo's Brother) plan to drive a Kremer K8 Porsche of Franz Konrad at Le Mans. The IndyCar seris is off the Le Mans race weekend June 15-16.
The Momo team will skip the June 9the IMSA race to compete at Lemans with no factory support.
More as I get time to type. They have full schedules of all of the Indy car sessions and a good schedule for upcoming races.