Week 23 Daytona Repave update: Final paving wraps up DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- On Friday, the checkered flag waved for the paving crew of Lane Construction as they finished the final paving of Daytona International Speedway. The paving crew...
Week 23 Daytona Repave update: Final paving wraps up
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- On Friday, the checkered flag waved for the paving crew of Lane Construction as they finished the final paving of Daytona International Speedway.
The paving crew wrapped up the final pass on the apron in Turns 1 and 2 in the late afternoon, following some inclement weather in the morning. While all the paving is complete on the racing surface, skid pad, pit road and the apron, there's still a punch-list of items being worked on during the 23rd week of repaving of Daytona International Speedway:
* Installation of the lights is complete but finishing touches such as connectivity and adjustments of the lights still need to be made
* The striping of the track has begun and is ongoing.
* The process of hanging the eight caution lights around the track is ongoing
* Installation of the scoring loops is ongoing
* Finishes touches are being put on the catch fence in Turns 1, 2, 3 and 4
* At least 18 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series drivers are expected to participate in a Goodyear tire test on Wednesday, Dec. 15 and Thursday, Dec. 16
About the Daytona Repave: Lane Construction, which repaved other ISC race tracks including Talladega Superspeedway, Homestead-Miami Speedway, Richmond International Raceway and Darlington Raceway, used an estimated 50,000 tons of asphalt to repave more than 1.4 million square feet of Daytona International Speedway.
Speedweeks 2011 will kick off with the 49th annual Rolex 24 At Daytona GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series race on Jan. 29-30 and conclude with the 53rd annual Daytona 500 on Sunday, Feb. 20, the prestigious season-opening event to the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series.
Daytona International Speedway is posting updates on the project at www.daytonainternationalspeedway.com/repave.
For tickets and more information on Daytona International Speedway events, visit www.daytonainternationalspeedway.com or call 1-800-PITSHOP.