Formula E considers adding Brazilian round

A future Formula E race in Brazil is under consideration, and could come a step closer after Motorsport.com discovered that series boss Alejandro Agag intends to visit the country next week.

“We are looking at Brazil. We have some people here from Brazil. I might be going there from here [Punta del Este] on Monday to meet people,” Agag told Motorsport.com.

“We need a promoter in Brazil, we need someone to help us there, but we would love to race in Brazil, it has a great fan base and also and we have Brazilian drivers, so I think it would be great.”

The first season of the all-electric series was set to visit Rio de Janeiro last February, but plans for the event fell through six months before the start of the first season.

It was not replaced in the schedule, and no official reason was given for its cancellation. 

“There are different options,” added Agag. “Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo are tricky, difficult, but we could have other places. We are open to it.”

One of Brazil’s Formula E racers, reigning champion Nelson Piquet Jr, said of a potential Brazilian round: “A race in Brazil could be incredible, as we have such passionate motorsport fans, but I don't know if now is exactly the right time with the economy.

"I hope some day it can happen.”

January deadline for Berlin replacement

The German round of the 2015-16 FIA Formula E Championship season is set to be confirmed by the end of January.

Motorsport.com broke the news last month that the Berlin airfield track has been given over to housing refugees, and is highly unlikely to be a useable venue for the ePrix scheduled for 21 May.

Alejandro Agag told Motorsport.com that a German round for the championship is paramount.

“We're looking at the replacement for Tempelhof,” said the series boss. “We have options in Berlin, which would be good.

"We also have options in other places, so we are considering, but what is definitely clear is that we want to race in Germany.

“We have to do it soon because there's a lot of logistic to put in place, but I think the end of January would be the deadline.”

Montreal, Australia latest

Meanwhile, Montreal and a race in Australia are close to becoming season-opening events for the 2016/17 Formula E season.

“We are working for a race in Australia, a couple more races in Asia, Middle East, maybe one more in Europe, so we're working on that now,” said Agag.

Sydney and Adelaide are the favourites for Formula E visiting down under, as revealed by Motorsport.com in September.

“There are different options for Australia, we haven't decided it yet. We are looking at a couple of options,” confirmed Agag.

Agag however was vague on whether Montreal would open season three as previously believed.

“I had a meeting with the major of Montreal and he confirmed that he really wants to do it," he said, "but we don't know if it will be for 2016 or 2017. It could be either next season or the following season.”

Additional reporting by Federico Faturos

Be part of something big

Write a comment
Show comments
About this article
Series Formula E
Drivers Nelson Piquet Jr.
Article type Breaking news
Tags alejandro agag