Summerton doubles up in Cleveland Cleveland, Ohio. -- July 3, 2004...Jonathan Summerton (HBR Motorsport) took his second win of the U.S. Bank Presents The Champ Car Grand Prix of Cleveland weekend by taking the victory in Round 8 of the Formula...
Summerton doubles up in Cleveland
Cleveland, Ohio. -- July 3, 2004...Jonathan Summerton (HBR Motorsport) took his second win of the U.S. Bank Presents The Champ Car Grand Prix of Cleveland weekend by taking the victory in Round 8 of the Formula BMW USA Championship. The win, his fourth of the season, moved him to second place in the Championship standings.
Summerton and HBR Motorsport team mate Andreas Wirth battled for the lead throughout the entire 16-lap contest, the two never separated by more than one second. Wirth took the lead from pole sitter Summerton on lap eight. On lap14 Summerton set up his move for the lead coming down the long front straight. Sideby- side with Wirth, he completed the pass in turn 4. He held off Wirth's last challenge to take the win by only .359 seconds. Rookie Championship leader James Hinchcliffe finished third.
On the opening lap Matt Jaskol, quickest in the morning warm-up session, jumped from his eight starting spot to third. Unfortunately his charge was short lived as contact forced him out of the race on lap three. James Hinchcliffe and Brian Frisselle consolidated their hold on fourth and fifth places as the race developed. Tom Milner, Graham Rahal and Billy Johnson fought among themselves for the fifth, Formula BMW USA sixth and seventh places. Milner was credited with the fastest race lap (1:16.483) and Rahal's sixth place finish was his best of the season.
The top-finishing Rookies were Summerton, Hinchcliffe and Milner. Wirth continues to lead the Championship with 115 points. Summerton is second (108), Hinchcliffe third (102), Jaskol fourth (79) and Johnson fifth (54). Hinchcliffe still leads the Rookie Points with 140 points. Summerton is second (128), Milner third (95), Rahal fourth (58) and Sutherland fifth (54).
Two more wins is great, but I think the most important thing I learned this weekend was to listen to my engineer," said Summerton. "I thought that if I won yesterday why change the set-up for today. Andreas tried a new one today and it was fast. I think that if I had listened and tried something new it may have been an easier race." Wirth added, "When Jonathan and I came up on a lapped car at the end of the race I took the inside and he took the outside. I was forced to downshift and I lost maybe 20 kilometres per hour to Jonathan. That was all it took to lose the race." Hinchcliffe said, "We overcame all of our set-backs in practice and qualifying to be one of the quickest cars in both races. If we had been able to start a little further up on the grid I think we had a car capable of winning."
Race 8 -- Results 16 laps:
1. Jonathan Summerton (R) (HBR Motorsport) 20:42.137 (97.659 mph)
2. Andreas Wirth (HBR Motorsport) 20:42.496
3. James Hinchcliffe (R) (AIM Autosport) 20:43.072
4. Brian Frisselle (PoleVision Racing) 20:43.436
5. Tom Milner (R) (Team PTG Motorsport) 20:50.162
6. Graham Rahal (R) (Vitesse Farm Racing)20:56.147
7. Billy Johnson (Team PTG Motorsport) 20:57.031
8. Tom Sutherland (R) (Team PTG Motorsport) 21:18.881
9. Lawson Aschenbach (Team PTG Motorsport) 21:30.039
10. Daniel Herrington (R) (Jensen Motorsport) 21:33.602
11. Derek Burseth (R) (PoleVision Racing) 20:56.971 Formula BMW USA
12. Matt Jaskol (Team Autotecnica) 05:37.266
13. Alexis Fenton (R) (Team Autotecnica) no time
Championship points after 8 of 14 races:
1. Andreas Wirth (HBR Motorsport, 115), 2. Jonathan Summerton (HBR Motorsport, 108), 3. James Hinchcliffe (AIM Autosport, 102), 4. Matt Jaskol (Team Autotecnica, 79), 5. Billy Johnson (Team PTG Motorsport, 54), 6. Brian Frisselle (PoleVision Racing, 41), 7. Tom Milner (Team PTG Motorsport, 35), 8. Joey Hand (Team PTG Motorsport, 22), 9. Dominik Jackson (Atlantic Racing Team, 20), 10. Kyle Herder (Atlantic Racing Team, 16), 11. Lawson Aschenbach (Team PTG Motorsport, 13), 12. Graham Rahal (Vitesse Farm Racing, 13), 13. Federico Montoya (Atlantic Racing Team, 10), 14. Gerardo Bonilla (Jensen Motorsport, 8), 15. Tom Sutherland (Team PTG Motorsport, 5), 16.Trevor Daley (Atlantic Racing Team, 4), 17. Alan Sciuto (Team PTG Motorsport, 1), 18. Daniel Herrington (Jensen Motorsport, 1), 19. Derek Burseth (PoleVision Racing, 1), 20. Alexis Fenton (Team Autotecnica, 0), 21. Mogan Spurgas (Jensen Motorsport, 0)
Rookies: 1. James Hinchcliffe (140), 2. Jonathan Summerton (128), 3. Tom Milner (95), 4. Graham Rahal (58), 5.Tom Sutherland (54), 6. Alexis Fenton (23), 7. Trevor Daley (22), 8. Federico Montoya (20), 9. Derek Burseth (20), 10. Alan Sciuto (16), 11. Daniel Herrington (14)