London - Can Artam - the 22-year-old Turkish driver - has signed with top FIA International Formula 3000 team Coloni Motorsport for the 2004 season.
"I am thrilled to be participating in this championship with Coloni Motorsport,'' Can said. "We have been considering various options during the last few months - EuroF3, British F3, Euro3000 and FIA International Formula 3000 - but Coloni Motorsport turned out the be the best option to further develop my career. The team's results in the past few years - Coloni finished second in 2003 scoring two wins with Sperafico - and their approach to racing was the most attractive proposition."
Can (pronounced Djan) has collected a number of notable "firsts" since he started racing in 1999 - First Turkish driver to win a race in the USA; first Turkish driver to win an International FIA race; first Turkish driver to race in British F3 and Euro Formula Renault V6 and now first Turkish driver to race in the FIA International Formula 3000 Championship.
Coloni Motorsports' owner Paolo Coloni, said: "With the Turkish Grand Prix programmed in 2005 we are excited to have signed Can Artam with our team. I came across Can last year when we were competing in the winter series in the USA in early 2003 and when we heard he was coming to race in Europe we got in touch and it only took few weeks for him to sign with us. We are now completing our line up and will be able to make an official announcement about our other drivers in the next few days."
Can, who is currently racing in the Formula Renault Winter Series in Florida, will travel directly to Jerez for the first official testing session on February 17th and 18th.
"I am looking to 2004 as a learning season. It will be a new team, a new car and with the exception of Spa where I raced with the Euro Formula Renault V6 last August, new tracks for me. I want to learn as much as possible as quickly as possible and get ready for the season and hopefully bring some good results for the team and for my country."
"I want to be well prepared for the 2005 GP2 series when my ultimate aim is to become the first Turkish driver to race on my hometown Formula One track."
Born on 30.06.1981 in Istanbul, Turkey
Height: 185 cm (6'00'')
Weight: 77kg (170 lbs)
Lives in Bocca Raton, Florida (currently but is moving to Europe by Feb 2004)
Speaks fluent English, Turkish and French
- Amateur karting in Turkey
1999 - 2002
- Karting in the USA
- Touring Car in Turkey
- Graduated from Silverstone Racing School in July
- Graduated from Skip Barber Racing School in October
2001 - Skip Barber Formula Dodge Championship
- 10 podium finishes out of 14 races
- 1 win
- Superkarts USA Southern Series Champion
- Turkish F3 (3 starts, 2 wins)
- Renault Clio Challenge in Turkey
- Formula Renault Debut with 3rd place finish
- Formula Renault Fran-Am World Series
- Formula Renault Fran-Am North American Pro Championship - 3 podiums, 1 win
- British F3 - Scholarship Class - 2 podium finishes
- Formula Renault V6 European Championship - 8th place in second race
- Formula Renault Winter Series
- FIA International Formula 3000 series (current)