2002 New South Wales Formula 2 Championship
Round 6 - Wakefield Park, August 31- September 1, 2002.

Round six of the New South Wales Formula 2 Championship also saw the last round of the Cams State title as well. It also saw a few new competitors stepping up from Formula Vee. Stewart Riach in Ted Dunford's HTG and Aaron Lewis in Neil Caswell's Reynard. Also Fred Baudzus made his return in the Mantis.

Qualifying saw the first upset of the weekend, with new boy Riach putting the older style HTG on pole with a 1m00.7596, 1.6 seconds ahead of Dunfords Reynard. Aaron Lewis was next, followed by John Muddle in the Ralt. Local driver Bob Ridley was 5th ahead of kiwi Tom Brickley. Fred Baudzus was 7th with Terry Robertson 8th. Craig Dawson failed to make the session.

Race 1 over 8 laps Saturday afternoon the front three clear away. Dawson gave chase from last on the grid with Brickley, Ridley and Muddle in the mix. Lewis pulled off lap 2, while Muddle joined him a lap later. Dunford held off Riach to the line with Dawson 3rd. Then came Brickley and Ridley. Robertson and Baudzus failed to trouble the scorers. Fastest lap was Riach at 1m02.3501.

Race 2 Sunday morning over 12 laps saw more of the same. Riach, Lewis, Dawson and Dunford all battling for the lead. Muddle, Brickley and Ridley the next bunch. Riach prevailed and took his first race win. He also set lap of 1m01.6846. Fred Baudzus failed to finish and Robertson failed to start.

Race 3 Sunday afternoon saw yet another new race winner for the season. This time Aaron Lewis breaking through. Craig Dawson followed him home, while Ted Dunford came in 3rd. Next was Brickley and Muddle. Riach failed to finish, while Baudzus, Robertson and Ridley didn't bother the scorers. Dunford set the fastest time of 1m01.6764.

So to the end of the State Series with Ted Dunford reigning supreme. Will Dawson be able to catch him in the Club Series? We will find out at the final round at Oran Park in late November. See you there.

-Kim Saffron.