2002 New South Wales Formula 2 Championship
Round 3 - Oran Park 18-19 May.

Cold and gloomy skies greeted a field of eleven to Sydney's Oran Park. New comer Neil Caswell in Peter Rees old Reynard 923 F3 car added a bit of spice to proceedings. Also a returning were Kevin Lewis, Don Hewitt and Tom Brickley. Terry Robertson had another debutant in former Kart & Formula Fordster Clayton Pyne in the Cheetah Mk 7.

Qualifying was for 15 minutes under grey clouds. Caswell got a 1m19 second lap in before John Muddle dumped oil all over the track. Cars were falling off the track everywhere. The grid was a little mixed up with some quick guys stuck at the back. Second was round 2 winner Ted Dunford ahead of Craig Dawson. Terry Robertson's Sirch was next ahead of Kevin Lewis who was running in a new engine. Pyne and Don Hewitt next followed Fred Baudzus and Muddle. Brickley and Burman only got in 1 lap before sitting off the rest of the session in the infield. So Caswell first time out grabbed pole with 1m19.1829.

Race 1 on Saturday afternoon saw Dunford streak away from the line and build up a handy lead in the 6 lapper. Caswell was next ahead of Robertson and Lewis. Muddle was fifth after his team fixed his oil leak, ahead of a disappointed Dawson in sixth. Fred Baudzus seventh followed by Burman in eighth. Pyne rounded out the field in ninth. Dunford set the fastest lap of 1m12.8117.

Race 2 on Sunday morning saw a clear sky but still cold temperatures. Dunford sat on pole from Neil Caswell. Burman and Pyne were not on the grid. Off the line was an even start with Dunford getting the jump. Caswell and Dunford had a hard fought battle throughout the 8 laps. Dunford prevailing by half a second in the end. Robertson was third heading Lewis, Brickley and Muddle. Fred Baudzus seventh followed Dawson. Don Hewitt did not finish. Dunford set fastest time of 1m13.1655. It was only .4 second faster than Caswell.

Race 3 on Sunday morning saw a clean sweep for Ted Dunford and the Image 888 team. Terry Robertson drove well in the Sirch to second ahead of Brickley in third. Neil Caswell recovered for fourth and set fastest lap of 1n12.37 along the way. John Muddle was fifth ahead of Craig Dawson. Fred Baudzus rounded out the field in seventh.

So a crushing victory by Ted Dunford, winning the last two rounds. After a last to second drive in the final race at Eastern Creek in March, expect more of the same for his competitors at Eastern Creek for round four in June. See you there.

-Kim Saffron.