CHINESE GRAND PRIX RACE
• The Williams F1 Team claimed a double points finish in China today, a welcome birthday present for Sir Frank Williams who turns 70 tomorrow.
• Bruno Senna raced through from 14th on the grid to 7th, making a two-stop strategy starting on the medium compound tyre pay off.
• Pastor Maldonado, also on a two-stop strategy, began on soft tyres changing to mediums on lap 12.
• Pastor drove through to 8th, posting the fourth fastest lap of the race, 1:40.482, on lap 36.
• Bruno’s six points and Pastor’s four give the team a total of 18 points putting them seventh in the standings.
• Congratulations to Nico Rosberg and Mercedes AMG on their first Formula One victory.
Mark Gillan, Chief Operations Engineer:
I am so happy for the whole team. It is a an excellent result to get both cars into the points, the culmination of everyone’s hard work and dedication, coupled with great drives by both drivers to manage their tyres and make a two-stop strategy work.
It was a great result for the team to finish with two cars in the points today. It was a tough race and tyre wear was high. Our strategy worked for us today but we’re still learning and improving together. We aim to continue to get better throughout the next few races.
It was very tough today. I lost places at the start and it was difficult to overtake but we had good pace. We were able to fight all the way to the end so I’m happy to get some points. It was a great result for the team.
Laurent Debout, Renault Sport F1 team support leader:
We’re all delighted to get a double points finish today, something we’ve promised since the start of the season. Pastor's performance to keep his eighth place was great to watch, he’s a real fighter, while Bruno kept his head down and got on with the job in hand and did all that was asked of him. Getting the points on merit and by racing shows the engine-chassis package is really working well so far this season.