Vettel would “welcome” Mercedes duo clashing on track

Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel says it is “irrelevant” to him if the Mercedes drivers are at war, but said he’d welcome them colliding on track if their simmering duel boiled over.

Speaking ahead of the Bahrain Grand Prix, where Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg battled wheel-to-wheel last year, Vettel said that he wasn’t interested if they are getting on personally or not.

“For us it’s irrelevant,” he said. “We need to look after ourselves. If they take each other out, everyone benefits, not just us, it would be welcome. Equally we’re not expecting that.”

Vettel added that he wasn’t interested in stoking the fire between them by talking about it during his media session on Thursday.

“In general I’m not a politician, so I’m not interested in feeding [the media] on that front, I never have been,” he said.

“Both of them are professional enough to handle the situation, even though I can see it’s very interesting for [the media] to keep pushing the situation!"

Ambitious goals to catch Merc

On the subject of his own chances in this weekend’s race, Vettel said: “The ambition is there to catch Mercedes, even if at this stage it’s very ambitious.

"For sure, that’s the target for myself and the whole team.”

Be part of something big

Write a comment
Show comments
About this article
Series Formula 1
Event Bahrain GP
Track Bahrain International Circuit
Drivers Lewis Hamilton , Nico Rosberg , Sebastian Vettel
Teams Ferrari
Article type Breaking news