'There is always a certain risk that you can't get away from' - Sebastian Vettel
May 23 (GMM) World champion Sebastian Vettel has hit back at claims Monaco holds only a dubious place on the Formula One calendar.
Earlier this week, former driver Ralf Schumacher reportedly criticised the fabled street circuit in the Principality, insisting it is not safe enough for modern F1 standards.
"Well, I see it this way," said Red Bull's Vettel, when asked about Schumacher's comments.
"There is always a certain risk that you can't get away from," he told Bild newspaper.
"But in recent years a tremendous amount has been done in the name of safety. I don't feel unsafe at Monaco."
Mercedes' Nico Rosberg - a Monaco resident who was fastest in first practice on Thursday - added: "Sure, Monaco is one of the most dangerous tracks.
"But it's so traditional that you have to make some compromises. It's simply a must -- there's nothing to discuss."