Tilke denies doubting Korea construction - Ecclestone

Bernie Ecclestone on Thursday said there is "no doubt" Korea will be ready to host its inaugural Grand Prix in late October. Local promoters Korea Auto Valley Operation (KAVO) have already insisted that construction of the 5.62km track in...

Bernie Ecclestone on Thursday said there is "no doubt" Korea will be ready to host its inaugural Grand Prix in late October.

Local promoters Korea Auto Valley Operation (KAVO) have already insisted that construction of the 5.62km track in Yeongam County is on time, after designer Hermann Tilke expressed doubt.

Tilke was quoted as saying by the German news magazine Focus: "For the first time I am concerned that a (Tilke) circuit is not going to be finished on time."

It was reported that concerned F1 chief executive Ecclestone travelled straight from Malaysia to South Korea earlier this month, but actually he is at the site this week.

The Briton said on Thursday: "I've spoken to Tilke and he denies saying it."

Ecclestone told reporters that he is "absolutely sure" the circuit will be ready on time. "No doubt at all," added the 79-year-old.

Be part of something big

Write a comment
Show comments
About this article
Series Formula 1
Drivers Bernie Ecclestone