Adrian Sutil was found guilty this morning of a criminal conviction for grievous bodily harm in the Munich Court in Germany by Judge Christiane Thiemann. He received an 18-month suspended jail term, along with a fine in the amount of EUR 200,000.
The former Force India driver was accused of assaulting Lotus team executive Eric Lux in the M1NT discotheque in Shanghai, China. Lux is co-owner of Luxembourg Investment Company Genii and co-owner of the current Lotus Formula One team led by Eric Boullier.
Lux reported that Sutil had wounded him with a glass in April 2011 on the night after the Chinese Grand Prix. Lux sustained injuries on the left side of his neck, was taken to a hospital by a taxi where the severe cut was closed with 24 stitches. A surgeon told him the cut was just millimetres away from an important facial nerve.
"The only positive thing is that I am now at peace with Mr. Lux. At least it's over," Sutil said after Tuesday's hearing.
At the Chinese Grand Prix last year, the German driver was not in a good mood as he was aware his relationship with Force India was falling apart. In October, Germany's Auto Motor und Sport indicated that Sutil’s "marriage to his long-time employer seems over". Sutil was with the team before Vijay Mallya took over the former Spyker team.
Judge Thiemann said, "Penalties exceeding one year are normally not suspended," she said and explained that Sutil’s clean criminal record was taken into consideration.