Stepney denies any wrongdoing

Senior Ferrari man Nigel Stepney has denied that he is guilty of any wrongdoing after the team initiated legal proceedings against him in Italy last week. The Maranello squad has not disclosed exactly what the complaint is; speculation has...

Senior Ferrari man Nigel Stepney has denied that he is guilty of any wrongdoing after the team initiated legal proceedings against him in Italy last week. The Maranello squad has not disclosed exactly what the complaint is; speculation has suggested sabotage but Ferrari has only said that the action was in regard to Stepney's 'behaviour'.

Apparently a criminal investigation is under way in Italy after a 'white powder' was found near the Ferrari petrol tanks prior to the Monaco GP. Media reports claim Stepney had fled the country and was unreachable but according to the UK's Sunday Times he said he is simply on holiday and Ferrari knows where he is.

"I have confidence I'll be cleared by the legal process that is now taking place," the newspaper quoted Stepney as saying. "It is just part of a dirty tricks campaign and everything is in the hands of my lawyer, so we'll wait and see what happens."

Stepney, previously race and test technical chief, allegedly wasn't happy that he was not offered Ross Brawn's job when the technical director stepped down for a year's sabbatical at the end of the 2006 season. Instead, Stepney moved to a factory role overseeing performance development, although he voiced a desire to take a year off from Ferrari.

Stepney is due back in Italy in early July and his lawyer said he will deal with the complaint bought against him and will likely hold a press conference so he can have his say.

Be part of something big

Write a comment
Show comments
About this article
Series Formula 1
Drivers Ross Brawn
Teams Ferrari