Sauber ready to defend Van der Garde court case

Giedo van der Garde against Sauber case will be heard on Monday.

Sauber says that it will defend the court action launched by Giedo van der Garde in the Supreme Court of Victoria.

Van der Garde is hoping that the Australian court will force Sauber to follow a recent arbitration ruling in Switzerland, and allow him to race. The case will be heard on Monday.

"As this matter is currently before the courts it would be inappropriate for me to comment on specific details," said team boss Monisha Kaltenborn.

"However, we will take all necessary steps to protect our company, this team and its interests.

"Last year was a challenging time for us but going into the 2015 season we have been focused on putting steps in place to ensure that we are delivering the best outcomes for F1's fans."

In its statement the team explained the Swiss court decision – and spelled van der Garde's name incorrectly: "In a first partial award of a Swiss arbitral tribunal, the application of Mr van der Garde was upheld, with the tribunal relevantly ordering Sauber to refrain from taking action the effect of which would be to deprive Guido van der Garde of his entitlement to participate in the 2015 Formula One season as one of Sauber's two nominated race drivers.

"Mr van der Garde has this week brought an application before an Australian court in Melbourne, the city hosting the first Grand Prix of the 2015 season on Sunday, March 15, to enforce that arbitral award. next week, March 9."

Be part of something big

Write a comment
Show comments
About this article
Series Formula 1
Drivers Giedo van der Garde
Teams Sauber
Article type Breaking news
Tags monisha kaltenborn