F1

Rome GP will hurt Monza says circuit director

A director of the Monza circuit has reacted angrily to Friday's news that Rome will begin hosting a Formula One race in 2012 or 2013. The contract was reportedly signed at the famous Autodromo Nazionale di Monza by Bernie Ecclestone on Friday,...

A director of the Monza circuit has reacted angrily to Friday's news that Rome will begin hosting a Formula One race in 2012 or 2013.

The contract was reportedly signed at the famous Autodromo Nazionale di Monza by Bernie Ecclestone on Friday, guaranteeing at least five street races if an agreement can be found with the authorities of the Italian capital's EUR district.

"Where once it was difficult to find sponsors, now it will be impossible," Monza director Enrico Ferrari is quoted by La Stampa newspaper.

"The big companies have a budget, so if today they were giving us 100, tomorrow they will give us 50 and Rome 50," he said.

Previously, Monza and another Italian venue - Imola - shared an annual presence on the F1 calendar, but Ferrari insists that times have changed.

"Take the example of Spain: Barcelona has been in crisis because of Valencia.

"The old Catalan race lost 9 million euros in 2010. All of Europe is in distress with F1.

"Germany has abandoned having two races and Spa-Francorchamps were 8,000 spectators down compared with last year," he complained.

Write a comment
Show comments
About this article
Series F1

User photos

sleboz
F1

sleboz

4 photos
EuroRacer
F1

EuroRacer

45 photos
Josefine Lißner
F1

Josefine Lißner

1 photos
hanmerdesign
F1

hanmerdesign

9 photos
Evan_DeCiren
F1

Evan_DeCiren

30 photos
colfox72
F1

colfox72

1 photos
gillfoto
F1

gillfoto

1 photos
akazoinho
F1

akazoinho

4 photos
Upload photo