Raikkonen says Spanish conspiracy theory 'rubbish'

Oct.12 (GMM) Kimi Raikkonen has dismissed as "rubbish" a conspiracy theory about Fernando Alonso's retirement from recent Grands Prix.

A Spanish newspaper correspondent said last week he saw a possible link between the fact Lotus drivers Raikkonen and Romain Grosjean were involved in the incidents that knocked former runaway championship leader Alonso out of the races at Suzuka and Spa respectively.

It was an unlucky situation with the front wing of Kimi and my rear tyre.

Fernando Alonso

The reporter also recalled that it was Renault's Vitaly Petrov who blocked Alonso at the 2010 world championship finale, with all three incidents helping the similarly Renault-powered Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel towards his titles.

"I guess it's important to look at the country (Spain) where this was written," Raikkonen is quoted in Korea by Finland's Turun Sanomat.

Kimi Raikkonen, Lotus F1 Team
Kimi Raikkonen, Lotus F1 Team

Photo by: xpb.cc

Indeed, Ferrari's Alonso said in Korea that Raikkonen has nothing to apologise for, even though it was the Lotus driver who cut his rear tyre at Suzuka a week ago.

"It was an unlucky situation with the front wing of Kimi and my rear tyre," he said, answering "No" as to whether Raikkonen should apologise.

Raikkonen, meanwhile, would not comment on what the F1 world should expect when, on his 33rd birthday next Wednesday, his plans for the 2013 season will finally be revealed.

"You'll see then," he smiled.

Write a comment
Show comments
About this article
Series F1
Article type Breaking news
Tags alonso, f1, ferrari, gmm, lotus, raikkonen, renault

User photos

EuroRacer
F1

EuroRacer

21 photos
SurdinP
F1

SurdinP

1 photos
max
F1

max

29 photos
ADLITIKA
F1

ADLITIKA

213 photos
Kevin_Bennett_Photo
F1

Kevin_Bennett_Photo

139 photos
PiBiPhoto
F1

PiBiPhoto

47 photos
koutnas
F1

koutnas

16 photos
Evan_DeCiren
F1

Evan_DeCiren

24 photos
Upload photo