Prost plays down chances of 2013 Paul Ricard GP

496 views

Alain Prost has warned there is no guarantee France will return to the F1 calendar in 2013.

The four-time world champion has agreed to join Paul Ricard's race bid as an advisor, and was promptly dispatched to Abu Dhabi reportedly for talks with Bernie Ecclestone and possibly also a meeting with potential local investors.

According to Auto Hebdo publication, however, the famous 57-year-old Frenchman is not very optimistic.

The weak point is the lack of funds.

Alain Prost

Earlier, Prost was heavily involved in failed attempts to revive the defunct French Grand Prix at Disneyland Paris, or a new circuit in Flins-sur-Seine.

Now in Abu Dhabi, he said on Saturday: "I was out of the case because it was too complicated, too politicised.

"Then I went to the world series (race) at Le Castellet and was asked the question.

"I said what I thought at the moment, that things could not be done without a minimum of public money.

"But as I was coming to Abu Dhabi in my role as Renault ambassador which had been planned for six months, I said that I would look at some aspects of this case."

Red Bull Renault test at Paul Ricard, 2008
Red Bull Renault test at Paul Ricard, 2008

Photo by: xpb.cc

While hopeful, Prost is realistic about Paul Ricard's chances.

"The weak point is the lack of funds, even though they are in talks with several potential partners," he said.

"The budget is far from being completed," said Prost.

"It will not be resolved in the meeting today, but it can be done in a couple of days, or not at all."

Write a comment
Show comments
About this article
Series F1
Article type Breaking news
Tags abu dhabi, ecclestone, f1, fia, fom, france, gmm, le castellet, paul ricard, prost

User photos

EuroRacer
F1

EuroRacer

21 photos
SurdinP
F1

SurdinP

1 photos
max
F1

max

29 photos
ADLITIKA
F1

ADLITIKA

213 photos
Kevin_Bennett_Photo
F1

Kevin_Bennett_Photo

139 photos
PiBiPhoto
F1

PiBiPhoto

47 photos
koutnas
F1

koutnas

16 photos
Upload photo