International Automobile Federation (FIA) president Max Mosley reportedly sent a letter to Ferrari president and Formula One Teams Association chairman Luca Cordero di Montezemolo demanding an apology for remarks that the Englishman had been forced out of office and had behaved like a dictator.
The two groups, feuding publicly the past several months over spending in the sport, Wednesday reached a deal to thwart a breakaway tour by eight teams. Ferrari was key to a new series.
News agency Reuters said its reporter saw the letter, sent before representatives of FOTA teams BMW Sauber, Brawn GP, Ferrari, McLaren Mercedes, Red Bull, Renault, Scuderia Toro Rosso and Toyota met Thursday in Bologna, Italy.
"If you wish the agreement we made to have any chance of survival, you and FOTA must immediately rectify your actions," Reuters quoted the letter. "You must correct false statements which have been made and make no further such statements. You yourself must issue a suitable correction and apology at your press conference this afternoon."
Although reports indicated the deal included Mosley's influence in F1 ending Wednesday, the controversial Englishman in his letter asserted his power.
"At least until October, I am president of the FIA with the full authority of that office. After that, it is the FIA member clubs, not you or FOTA, who will decide on the future leadership of the FIA."
Mosley wrote that FOTA's "deliberate attempt to mislead the media" gave him the option to seek another presidential term. Mosley succeeded Jean Marie Balestre to the position in 1991 after the controversial Frenchman was seen to have used his powers to help French driver Alain Prost become world champion in 1989 to the detriment of Brazilian Ayrton Senna.
FOTA vice chairman John Howett of Toyota F1 told reporters Thursday that FOTA "would like someone independent from any of us," in the FIA top job.
"The federation is an independent body with its own constitution," Howett said. "It's their business who they appoint as president."
Montezemolo said Wednesday during a news conference at FIA headquarters in Paris, where all F1 parties met to deliberate and conclude the deal, that he thought Mosley "had done a very good fix" to the sport-threatening feud.
The surfacing as Mosley successor, as reported by the BBC, include Automobile Club de Monaco president Michel Boeri, former Ferrari team principal Jean Todt, former rally driver Ari Vatanen, and chief steward Alan Donnelley.