Monza reveals plans to secure new F1 deal

Monza is optimistic that it will secure the future of the Italian Grand Prix until at least 2020 after unveiling a recovery plan to boost activity at the legendary track.

The circuit, which has hosted the Italian GP every year since 1950 – with the exception of 1980 when the race was held at Imola – has a contract with Formula 1 until 2016.

Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone said last year that the event could be dropped after the current deal expired as the conditions were not good enough.

Former F1 driver Ivan Capelli, the president of the Milan Automobile Club, is leading the push to secure a new contract for the track.

During the presentation on Tuesday of initiatives to boost the circuit's popularity, Capelli said he now feels very optimistic the circuit will stay on the F1 calendar in the medium term.

"As you can see, the recovery plan sets clear targets in the short and medium term," said Capelli.

"This strengthens our will to bring to Monza important races like the World Superbike Championship and, above all, in our negotiations to keep the Italian Grand Prix at Monza.

"Thanks to the support from institutional and private parties we are confident we can secure a contract extension until the 2020."

Capelli said he will meet with Ecclestone during the Monaco Grand Prix weekend.

Be part of something big

Write a comment
Show comments
About this article
Series Formula 1
Event Italian GP
Track Monza
Drivers Ivan Capelli , Bernie Ecclestone
Article type Breaking news
Tags capelli, monza