Roberto Merhi said he only found out he had been replaced at Manor after he had landed at Singapore ahead of this weekend's Formula 1 race.
The Spaniard has driven for the team since the start of the season, but will only take part in two of the remaining seven races after his bosses pulled off a five-race deal with Alexander Rossi.
Although disappointed at not being able to do all the races, Merhi has said his focus now is on doing as well as he can in his Russian and Abu Dhabi outings, prior to trying to secure a return in 2016.
"I flew here on Monday and when I arrived the team gave me the news that I would not be driving, and [that] Rossi would replace me for five races," explained Merhi.
"For next year, we don't know yet. We are looking for an F1 seat and we will try to find the best option possible.
"But now in these days it is really important the budget and at the moment it is hard to find some budget."
Despite having hoped that he would have continued racing, Merhi was keen to make clear how thankful he was that Manor had given him an F1 opportunity in the first place.
"The beginning of the year, when I came to Melbourne with the team, they gave me a great chance to be part of the team, and be a driver for the team," he said.
"I didn't know how long it would end up, but at least I did 12 races. That is really good for a driver in F1, and they give me good chance to be in there in the car – and I want to stay thank you.
"Now they have taken a decision that is better for the team in terms of long terms results, so now I prepare, try to improve and learn so I am ready to race in Sochi and Abu Dhabi."