The FIA confirmed on September 18th that McLaren has withdrawn its appeal to reclaim the points it was disallowed at the Hungarian Grand Prix. Fernando Alonso was judged to have impeded Lewis Hamilton in the pits during qualifying and the Spaniard...
The FIA confirmed on September 18th that McLaren has withdrawn its appeal to reclaim the points it was disallowed at the Hungarian Grand Prix. Fernando Alonso was judged to have impeded Lewis Hamilton in the pits during qualifying and the Spaniard was penalized with a grid demotion penalty that lost him pole position.
McLaren was prevented from scoring any constructors' points in the race and afterwards lodged an appeal. However, last week McLaren was excluded from the 2007 constructors' championship due to breach of sporting regulations in regard to its involvement in the spy scandal. The Hungarian appeal was set to go ahead on Wednesday and until now it seemed McLaren might continue with it.
As well as the loss of its 2007 points as a penalty for the breach of regulations, the team was also fined $100 million by the FIA, less the prize money earned from its championship points up to and including the Italian GP. A return of the Hungarian points could have made a difference but evidently McLaren has decided it's not worth pursuing.
It's not yet known if the team will appeal against its exclusion from the championship. Ron Dennis previously said he disagreed with the World Motor Sport Council's decision but would wait until the findings were issued. The FIA made the full transcripts available to McLaren and Ferrari on Monday and they will be published on Wednesday.
Meanwhile, the FIA is waiting for a report from McLaren concerning the claims it made that Renault is in possession of confidential McLaren information. An employee, reportedly designer Phil Mackereth left the Woking squad for Renault and is alleged to have taken technical information on computer discs with him. The claim came up during the spy scandal and the FIA said it would deal with it separately.
"We haven't had the complaint or the detail we have been promised from McLaren about that, but when we get it, we will investigate," FIA President Max Mosley told the BBC. "We've had a dossier from Renault which doesn't look particularly damning, but then again, you wouldn't expect it to."
"I said to him (Dennis), 'When you have got your dossier together Ron, let's have it'. He, with Renault's agreement, sent experts into Renault to look at their computer system recently. So obviously when he has got that report, if there's something significant in it, I have no doubt he will let us have it."