Heidfeld/Mercedes deal not announced on Monday

The launch of the 2010 Mercedes GP team concluded on Monday without mention of Nick Heidfeld as reserve driver. Reports at the weekend suggested the 32-year-old German had been signed to the role, but team boss Ross Brawn said a final decision...

The launch of the 2010 Mercedes GP team concluded on Monday without mention of Nick Heidfeld as reserve driver.

Reports at the weekend suggested the 32-year-old German had been signed to the role, but team boss Ross Brawn said a final decision is yet to be taken.

But the Briton, together with Michael Schumacher, Nico Rosberg, Norbert Haug and even McLaren's Martin Whitmarsh at Mercedes' Stuttgart museum, indicated that the decision about the reserve driver is likely within the next several days.

Mercedes' Haug will return the favour to Whitmarsh on Friday by attending the launch of McLaren's 2010 car in the UK.

Meanwhile, 41-year-old Schumacher's F1 return began cheekily, when a video was played at the beginning of the Mercedes launch showing him stepping out of a red road car and winking.

The German's helmet will also remain incandescent red in 2010.

F1 photographers will skip Ferrari's launch and head straight to McLaren late this week, after not being invited to the unveiling of the famous Italian team's car on Thursday.

Ferrari spokesman Luca Colajanni also would not be drawn on speculation that, despite its 281 codename, the 2010 Ferrari will officially be named the F2010.

"As usual, the name of the car will be revealed the day of the launch," he said ahead of the Maranello event.

Be part of something big

Write a comment
Show comments
About this article
Series Formula 1
Drivers Michael Schumacher , Nick Heidfeld , Ross Brawn , Nico Rosberg , Martin Whitmarsh
Teams Ferrari , Mercedes , McLaren