Formula One set to increase engine allocation

Formula One teams look set to agree to a change in the power unit allocation for this season from four to five, despite the demise of the German Grand Prix dropping the race total from 20 to 19.

This year the allocation is supposed to be down to four after the FIA set it at five for the first season of the new formula in 2014.

However, after teams experienced problems in Australia – notably Red Bull and McLaren - there are fears that there will be a gradual reduction in the amount of laps run on Fridays as everyone seeks to keep its engine allocation alive, and thus avoid grid penalties.

Concerns that fans will get a raw deal have thus been used to push forward the idea, which was discussed by team bosses this morning.

If unanimous agreement on the details can be found, it could be implemented straight away.

"I suggested the idea," Red Bull boss Christian Horner told Motorsport.com.

"The objective is really to make sure that cars are out on the track, otherwise as we get further into the year it's going to become harder and harder and teams are going to become more restrictive.

"There seems to be unanimous agreement on it, so that's a positive sign."

It remains to be seen whether the extra power unit would simply be added to the current allocation, or specifically earmarked for Friday use.

"It's to be decided," said Horner. "I don't mind whether it's a Friday engine or we just go back to last year's rule, it doesn't matter."

Be part of something big

Write a comment
Show comments
About this article
Series Formula 1
Article type Breaking news
Tags engines, fia