Todt attacks officials Jean Todt has said that the officials were wrong to disqualify the team. "I have a great pain in my heart, but also the desire to react. That small difference in design does not justify the decision to disqualify the two...
Todt attacks officials
Jean Todt has said that the officials were wrong to disqualify the team. "I have a great pain in my heart, but also the desire to react. That small difference in design does not justify the decision to disqualify the two cars. The punishment is disproportionate."
He went on to speak to ANSA about his feelings in more depth. "What displeases me is that a day like that finished the way it did. I feel responsible, because I am the director of sporting management. I'm the chief and therefore I'm always going to be the one responsible, but clearly this is a technical problem. Soon after the race, the stewards told us that they had found an irregularity in our cars. It was a bolt from the blue. We still don't know why the part didn't conform, but anyway it didn't give us any advantage from the performance point of view. There are no words to describe the sudden transition from great joy to profound disappointment. This is a tremendously difficult time for us, it all seems incredible."
He further went on to talk about the deflectors and the inpections.
"They were subjected to technical tests here in Malaysia last Thursday and were checked every day. We have 10 of them in total and we honestly can't understand what has happened. It's a very bitter blow to us and one we really didn't expect after such a great race, which had given us fantastic results. I repeat, we were disqualified for a problem which gave us no performance advantage."
Todt also believes that someone has turned them in to the stewards. "We think that someone might have noticed something which the FIA previously hadn't noticed, and that neither had we. In other words, someone made the stewards aware of it. I don't know who it was, but it was certainly no-one from Ferrari."
The Ferrari fallout from Malaysia
The GdS's editor, Candido Cannavo, has spoken of the feelings of Italy on Ferrari's disqualification - headlines "Bring on the guilty men"
"Once the anger subsides, those 10 millimetres become 10 kilometres of presupposition, superficiality, negligence, idiocy. It all seems so absurd. "
"Millions of Italians feel betrayed, Ferrari's credibility in the world has suffered another blow, one more damaging than the wheel that went missing at the Nurburgring. "
"The world title has once again vanished amid scenes of suicide. The financial damage is enormous, but it's nothing compared to the blow to morale and the disastrous impact on their public image."
Di Montezemolo hasn't commented publicly, but Cannavo revealed "He will try everything to get Ferrari off, but he feels betrayed by people to whom he has given money, prestige and faith in their abilities. That irregular part went unnoticed in the factory, in the wind-tunnel checks and during car assembly. It's incredible."
Mauro Forghieri, who used to be at Ferrari, has spoken on the appeal. "I do not know what happened at Sepang and we will probably be talking about that for a lifetime, but it is sure that, if the rules were broken, the appeal stands little chance of succeeding."
Ron Dennis has spoken also on the disqualification, and gained no satisfaction from it. "It's no way to win a championship" he said.
Haug dignified in result
Norbert Haug, the chief of Mercedes racing program, has been speaking on the disqualification of Ferrari, and made it clear that they had no part to play in it.
"It was good news but it wasn't in the hands of our team. There is no sour taste because it was not our decision. Rules are rules, but we didn't influence the decision. Motor racing is that way. We all suffer bad luck and that's the way it is."
-- Stephen M Baines http://www.motorsport.org.uk