Ferrari appeals FIA decision not to review Vettel penalty

The Sebastian Vettel Mexican GP penalty affair is not over yet, with Ferrari having submitted notification of its intent to appeal following yesterday’s decision by the FIA stewards that the matter could not be re-opened.

As is usual in such cases, Ferrari is in effect buying time while it considers its options, and might not continue with the appeal.

The Italian team had asked the FIA to review the Vettel decision “in order to provide clarity in the application of the rules in future events.”

The four Mexican GP stewards met by teleconference on Friday afternoon Brazilian time, with Jock Clear representing Ferrari, and Christian Horner and Jonathan Wheatley present for Red Bull Racing.

Past decisions can only be looked if “new elements” of evidence have emerged. The team offered GPS data - which the FIA said it had already considered - and also claimed that race director Charlie Whiting should have told Max Verstappen to hand back his place after the earlier incident.

As such, Ferrari appeared to be using the fact that Whiting didn’t give the order to help justify Vettel’s defensive more on Daniel Ricciardo.

The stewards decreed that Whiting is not obliged to tell teams that drivers should hand back an advantage, and it was decided that Ferrari had not provided sufficient evidence to re-open the case.

An FIA statement said: “Having received all the written and verbal submissions and carefully considered them, the Stewards decide there is no new element.”

Be part of something big

Write a comment
Show comments
About this article
Series Formula 1
Event Mexican GP
Sub-event Sunday race
Track Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez
Drivers Sebastian Vettel , Daniel Ricciardo
Teams Ferrari
Article type Breaking news