Global Motorsport Media
Adrian Sutil has categorically denied recently visiting the Williams factory.
But the Force India driver admitted to Auto Motor und Sport in Singapore that, when he read the pages of speculation about his future last week, even he had to make efforts to verify the stories.
"It's just rumours," said Sutil, "but I read them too and called my manager. He told me that there is no contact with Williams."
It is an uncomfortable situation for the experienced 28-year-old, despite the fact his personal sponsors Medion and Capri-Sonne can offer some money to his employer.
According to the paddock grapevine, Force India boss Vijay Mallya would probably prefer to pair Paul di Resta with Nico Hulkenberg next year, and that is why the Indian billionaire is delaying his decision until December.
"I have no other choice than to drive as well as possible to the end of the season and hope that I get a contract either here or somewhere else," said Sutil.
By mid December, his contract option for 2012 will have expired and the German may have fled to another team.
Even rookie di Resta, however, sounds frustrated. "It is useless to get upset about it," said the Scot, admitting he would like Mallya to make an earlier call.
At Williams, Venezuela-backed Pastor Maldonado is secure while Rubens Barrichello is sitting tight as the British team reportedly looks around for a suitable pay-driver.
Confusing, then, are the reports that insist the normally highly-paid Kimi Raikkonen really did visit the Grove factory recently and is seriously in the running for Barrichello's seat.
"Right now is a big time for rumours," Barrichello told reporters on Thursday, "and there is no point adding to them."
I never make plans for the next year before January
"I have no plans for next year," the Finn is quoted as saying by Spain's Diario Sport. "There are many reasons why I quit Formula One and I always said I don't know if it's forever.
"I never make plans for the next year before January, so I will have to see what will happen."