Bernie reveals all
Bernie Ecclestone has set out who will succeed him in charge of F1. The board will be Ferrari team manager Marco Piccinini, Helmut Werner (ex DaimlerBenz) and Walter Thoma (ex Phillip Morris).
BAR worries about reliability
Craig Pollock has said that he is "a little disappointed with the reliability of the car", but went on to say he is pleased with the performance of the car.
Herbert - better than last years car
Johnny Herbert has said that this seasons Stewart is better than last seasons, but it was too early to tell if the vices both he and Barrichello have noticed are inherent of the car, or due to it being winter.
Argentina almost definite
The Argentine Grand Prix, slated to replace the Chinese Grand Prix, is now almost certain to go ahead. A meeting has been held between Patrick McNally and a representative of the Argentine government. Details are expected from the FIA before the end of the week. The Bueonos Aires government had wanted a five year deal, but McNally was unable to enter talks about this at the meeting.
BAR and Williams to South Africa
British American Racing and Williams are to test at Kyalami next month after getting permission from Bernie Ecclestone. The test was promised to South Africa last year by BCE, to help the circuit to get ready for a race in 2001.
Honda to test in public
Honda are set to test with Jos Verstappen at the wheel at Jerez next week, alongside the other F1 teams. Benetton, BAR and Stewart are expected.
Williams to launch Monday
Williams are to unveil the FW21 at Barcelon next Monday.
Alesi denies Ferrari 2000
Jean Alesi has denied that he has signed a deal to drive for Ferrari in 2000. 'In Italy they write I have already signed. I haven't signed and I have no contact with them.'
Benetton cause interest with 'driveshaft'
Benetton's new 1999 car, the B199, is causing a lot of interest with Nick Wirth talking about the "revolutionary front driveshaft". It is unclear what this item is for. The team started work on the idea at the end of last season.
Sauber launches 1999 car
Sauber have launched their 1999 car. Leo Ress, technical director at Sauber has said that the team "put a completely new car on wheels, where almost no previous parts have been carried over. The new RED BULL SAUBER PETRONAS C18 is still no more but no less than an evolution of C17, on which we have in fact optimised every single component."
The engine Sauber will use in 1999 is based on the Ferrari 1998 model, and not the 1996 version they used last season, according to the team. This will aid packaging the engine into the car.
-- Stephen M Baines http://www.motorsport.org.uk