F1

MotoGP rider killed, F1 safe insists Ecclestone

105 views

Global Motorsport Media

Bernie Ecclestone is confident Formula One remains ahead of the pack in terms of safety.

Bernie Ecclestone
Bernie Ecclestone

Photo by: xpb.cc

The F1 chief executive was speaking after the death of Indycar driver Dan Wheldon in Las Vegas last week, and before Italian MotoGP rider Marco Simoncelli was killed on Sunday in a sickening crash at Sepang.

"What a horrible week for our sport," said Team Lotus reserve driver Karun Chandhok late on Sunday.

Added his boss Tony Fernandes on Twitter: "People forget how dangerous a sport racing is."

Ecclestone told the Daily Mail that he is confident this weekend's racing in India will prove F1's safety record, with the sport not recording a driver fatality since 1994.

"In Formula One we do everything possible to secure the safety of the drivers and the spectators," he told the Daily Mail.

Write a comment
Show comments
About this article
Series F1
Tags chandhok, crash, ecclestone, fernandes, sepang, simoncelli

User photos

jimmykwoods
F1

jimmykwoods

2 photos
nickmossdesign
F1

nickmossdesign

1 photos
Tim Holmes
F1

Tim Holmes

17 photos
EricDebris
F1

EricDebris

411 photos
hanmerdesign
F1

hanmerdesign

7 photos
Evan_DeCiren
F1

Evan_DeCiren

25 photos
EuroRacer
F1

EuroRacer

27 photos
darkcloud154
F1

darkcloud154

22 photos
Upload photo