Nico Hulkenberg says he is happy for now to wait until mid December to know if he will be on the 2012 grid.

Nico Hulkenberg, Force India F1 Team, Test Driver
Nico Hulkenberg, Force India F1 Team, Test Driver

Photo by: xpb.cc

Force India boss Vijay Mallya said recently he will decide around December 15 about the Silverstone based team's race driver lineup for next season.

Chief operating officer Otmar Szafnauer was quoted on Friday as saying reserve driver Hulkenberg, as well as current racers Adrian Sutil and Paul di Resta, are in the running for the two seats.

It is rumoured however that German Hulkenberg, 23, was only lured to the team - after being ousted by Williams last year - on the promise that he will be back on the grid in 2012.

"Of course you can never be 100 per cent sure," Hulkenberg told Germany's Auto Motor und Sport, "until you have been confirmed officially.

They have said they are very happy with me

Nico Hulkenberg

"But based on the feedback from the team which has been really good, I am very confident. They have said they are very happy with me," he added.

"Vijay has already said that he will announce the decision about the drivers on December 15, so us drivers will know a few days before that.

"Of course I would prefer to find out sooner, but it doesn't matter, I just have to wait and stay calm," said Hulkenberg.