F1

Ecclestone offers to save Nurburgring's F1 race

Global Motorsport Media

Bernie Ecclestone has put an offer on the table in an effort to save F1's biennial Nurburgring race.

Local politics have threatened the future of the event, with the new green-influenced ruling alliance in the Rhineland-Palatinate state baulking at the use of public funds for F1.

Bernie Ecclestone
Bernie Ecclestone

Photo by: xpb.cc

Circuit operator Jorg Lindner responded earlier this year by saying the race contract with F1 chief executive Ecclestone needs to be renegotiated.

On Tuesday, Nurburgring spokesman Karl-Heinz Steinkuhler said the state's financial involvement has already fallen from about EUR 13.5m to less than 10 million.

At the same time, meetings with Ecclestone have taken place.

"The proposal will now be discussed with (interior minister) Roger Lewentz," read a report by the German news agency DPA.

The Tageblatt newspaper said the Nurburgring's theme park operations including the rollercoaster will be scaled down, with about 60 jobs made redundant to cut costs.

A spokesman said the Nurburgring's future will thereafter be "highly profitable".

Write a comment
Show comments
About this article
Series F1
Tags ecclestone, lewentz, lindner, nurburggring

User photos

Evan_DeCiren
F1

Evan_DeCiren

25 photos
EuroRacer
F1

EuroRacer

27 photos
darkcloud154
F1

darkcloud154

22 photos
Renato Marques
F1

Renato Marques

5 photos
devilwoman
F1

devilwoman

1 photos
stirlingf18
F1

stirlingf18

1 photos
erikjunius
F1

erikjunius

37 photos
Upload photo