Ecclestone tells race organiser Monza future safe

Automobile Club of Italy president Angelo Sticci Damiani met with Ecclestone...

Jun.28 (GMM) Italian Grand Prix organiser ACI on Friday insisted Monza will not be dropped from the Formula One calendar.

Bernie Ecclestone, CEO Formula One Group
Bernie Ecclestone, CEO Formula One Group

Photo by: XPB Images

F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone told an Italian magazine earlier this week that the historic circuit could be the victim of the sport needing to push into more "emerging markets".

But Automobile Club of Italy president Angelo Sticci Damiani met with Ecclestone on Friday at Goodwood, where a World Motor Sport Council meeting is taking place.

He said Ecclestone "told me that he had never said there were problems with Monza and, above all, that the future of the Italian Grand Prix is at risk".

Damiani added that the F1 supremo had given him "specific assurances" about Monza's future.

Write a comment
Show comments
About this article
Series Formula 1
Drivers Bernie Ecclestone
Article type Breaking news
Tags damiani, ecclestone, monza